New 20g sw tank day 5 nitrogen cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markodeniro

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have converted my fw tank to sw after 10years or so I am on day 5 testing water daily currently have 11kg live rock with lots of life on in my 100litre/20g tank. Ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and water at 35ppm salinity can I add a couple of clowns tomorrow?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

did you ever add a ammonia source and did you see a spike than a decline
5 days is awfully fast that's why i must ask , when you say 35ppm you mean 1.026 right
whats the rush that is everyone's first mistake relax take your time good things come from ones who go slow
i understand your excited we all were lol
adding to much to soon will result in a bad out come your tank will be new only able to handle small loads over the next few weeks allowing your tanks bio load to build
once you confirm my first question i can give you a yes or a no
if i sound like I'm lecturing I'm not just want to be sure your ready

Welcome :) I am cycling as well. I have been cycling for a week now.It takes time and patience. I am using Dr. Timm's Ammonium Chloride solution but shrimp can be used or pure ammonia scent free.Good luck. :)

Hi no I haven't added an ammonia source I thought if nitrate levels are increasing it is at the end of the cycle?

The best way to test if your tank is truly cycled is to add an ammonia source to 3 ppm and if it gone within 24 hours it has cycled. Its better to be safe than sorry. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
What other fish are on your stocking list? If you have any peaceful fish on your list you want to add them before you add the clowns because they are semi- aggressive. You want to add your semi-aggressive and aggressive fish last. This helps to manage the aggression in a tank.
Hope this helps!

your tank didn't cycle if you never added a ammonia source
especially in 5 days

The best way to test if your tank is truly cycled is to add an ammonia source to 3 ppm and if it gone within 24 hours it has cycled. Its better to be safe than sorry. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I agree 100% with what criptix told you

I had the water tested at my Lfs and the water was fine had 2 clowns in since yesterday tested the water today and it's still fine?

I had the water tested at my Lfs and the water was fine had 2 clowns in since yesterday tested the water today and it's still fine?

A test kit of your own would be more helpful as the LFS's definition of water parameters being "fine" is not a good measurement. As for the clowns, what type are you referring to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

You just went from uncycled to almost fully stocked in a day. Hope you have a bunch of salt and ro on hand to do wc's. IMHO you should return the clowns and do some research on cycling/stocking a tank responsibly.

Water tested everyday and still no ammonia change and water still fine fish are fine and everything on the rocks is live and kicking. I have kept freshwater tank for 10 years beforehand so I do understand stocking tanks "responsibly" if the water had changed then I wouldn't have added the fish.

Water tested everyday and still no ammonia change and water still fine fish are fine and everything on the rocks is live and kicking. I have kept freshwater tank for 10 years beforehand so I do understand stocking tanks "responsibly" if the water had changed then I wouldn't have added the fish.

Fresh and salt water are vastly different. Salt water diseases are extremely difficult to treat properly, especially ich. Fresh water fish are far less suceptible to poor water parameters than fresh water fish. Nothing in salt water comes quickly and everyone that rushes into things will learn that. Myself included.

Ok thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom