Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
New 20gal long help

First of all, I want to apologize in advance for the long post. I recently got a 20 gallon long tank (second one in 1 month, both free) and the first one is for my GBRs. But with the second one I would love to set up a saltwater FOWLR tank but I have no experience so I have been doing some research.

First the equipment I need for sure:
Water and salt mix (obviously)
20-30lbs of live rock
Sand substrate
HOB filter

Many websites say these are the only things you need for a successful FOWLR tank. Is this true?

Also, does the sand have to be live sand? And what can I put in the HOB filter for filter media? It’s an Aquaclear 50 and I have 2 of them that would be better but I feel like that is overkill. Or do I even need the filter at all?

I’ve wanted a saltwater tank for a long time but I want to make sure I do it right. I will let it sit and cycle for at least a month I assume and I only plan on putting a few nano fish in there (no idea which ones yet)
codygregg is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search