Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2005, 01:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New 20gal reef

Im almost done cycling my 20gal tank.. i have some fiji lr.. but soon will order some keys from lr.com.... I have a BakPak 2 and would like to know if i need a filter to be able to hold a little more fish... I had my 55gal wet dry hang on but its a pain and takes up all the space in the back... Would i be able to just get away with having a little filter like one of those tetras?

thanks

Old 02-25-2005, 02:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a good skimmer such as the one you have, you shouldn't need any additional filtration. The live rock and live sand is your filtration.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

how about water circulation. i want to get something small like a maxi jet 400. how many would i need and where would i put them and point the water flow?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use Rios. The slots are smaller on the intake and has a box shape design without the stem. Less likely for any critters to get caught up on the intake. My 29 gallon has a CPR Bakpak 2R with a bubble reducer. There are two other rios (a 600 and a 400) I'm using for circulation. One is pointed toward the surface and the other circulates water from the back to the front. They are situated on opposite ends of the tank.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
Old 02-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I had to choose between a rio and a mj, I would use the rio as a paperweight and put the mj into my tank.

But that's just me. Add up the powerhead's GPH till you get anywhere from 200-300 GPH. I would go with a MJ 900 pointed towards the surface of the water.

You going to have a reef tank or FOWLR?
Old 02-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

RLG2182...LOL. Rios aren't that bad, but the suction cups do suck. They never stay. I prop mine on the rocks.

Nov/2004
Old 02-25-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

It is going to be a reef. 900's or 400's how many i want something small that will get the work done. Thats why i figured little 400's on opposite sides one amied at the water serface the othe on the opposite side aiming downwards.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tito2491 Send a message via MSN to Tito2491
I have 1 azoo powerhead that i got at liveaquaria.com i think its the 600 or 300 but i use 1 and it circulates everything in the tank and are very small and dont take up a lot of space , hope it helps

Tags
20 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com