Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New 20gH Nano Reef

Hello AA!

I am new, though I have been scouring these forums for a few weeks now for advice on a new tank setup.

I have never dealt with saltwater before, so I am going to attempt it. From all the people and friends I have talked to, I am going to try to go as slow as possible.

Here are a few pictures. This is day two of the saltwater.

I am using Texas Holy Rock as a base, as you can see. The LFS said that it should make a great base. He also told me that it will turn into Live Rock itself. After looking into that, I understand and know that it will, however, I am curious as to how long it will take. You can't really tell from the pictures, but there are already particles that have drifted onto the rock. They appear black, brown, and green.

Also, this live rock is uncured and should be cured tomorrow, so says the LFS that I bought it from. I expect that it should be for certain by the end of the week. Which brings me to my next question. How can I tell if it's cured?

The tank doesn't really measure a lot of ammonia yet, so I added some flakes to it. I was originally planning on using a raw shrimp, but I read that you could use fish flakes as well, so I might as well use all the old freshwater food.

New lighting is on the way. Ordered a power compact Coralife Aqualife 2x 65W with 4 lunar lights. Comes with a 10k K bulb and an Actinic bulb. This should be good enough to grow any type of coral, right? It would be about 6.5W a gallon.

I plan on adding a cleaning crew in about a month. Any recommendations as to what? I am interested in a peppermint shrimp.

Later down the road, I would like to get a clown, after the tank cycles, maybe two. The biggest thing I am looking into is making a coral farm. Would be great to eventually make money off it!

If you have any other advice, throw it at me. The more the merrier!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Welcome to AA!

Quote:
Also, this live rock is uncured and should be cured tomorrow, so says the LFS that I bought it from. I expect that it should be for certain by the end of the week. Which brings me to my next question. How can I tell if it's cured?
Curing live rock can/will take 4-6 weeks. You will know it's cured when your tank shows 0 ammonia.
Quote:
The tank doesn't really measure a lot of ammonia yet, so I added some flakes to it. I was originally planning on using a raw shrimp, but I read that you could use fish flakes as well, so I might as well use all the old freshwater food.
A few flakes won't do the trick. You are better off using an uncooked piece of shrimp. If you want to use the flake...use alot, not just few flakes.
Quote:
New lighting is on the way. Ordered a power compact Coralife Aqualife 2x 65W with 4 lunar lights. Comes with a 10k K bulb and an Actinic bulb. This should be good enough to grow any type of coral, right?
With those light you will be able to keep soft coral and some lower light demanding LPS. They are no where near strong enough for the high light demanding SPS corals.
Quote:
The biggest thing I am looking into is making a coral farm. Would be great to eventually make money off it!
Don't hold your breath...lol. It takes a coral years to grow out from a frag to a colony big enough to frag and sell.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Great advice above.
I just want to add that you want 0 ammonia and nitrItes. After the cycle you will have some nitrAtes and should do a PWC to reduce them.
As for a cleaning crew, add a small amount since there won't be much for them to eat in such a new tank. I like nassarius, cerith and margarita snails.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. Just curious, why are the lights not strong enough? Do the high light corals need more than 6.5W a gallon? Or is it the type of lighting? I would like to go with Metal Halide eventually, but it seems like I was reading around and found out that it was just a waste of money for such a small tank.

During the cycling process, should I be running my power filter on full blast? Also, will lighting have any effect on what grows from the live rock, such as mushrooms or feather dusters?

Thanks.

Edit: Did some testing today and I am running at 0 Nitrate, 5ppm Nitrite, and .5 ammonia. I am going to give it a few more days to allow the nitrites to be broken down into nitrates. Then should I do a PWC when Nitrite and Ammonia are at 0?
Old 09-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

The WPG rule kind of went out the door with the different types of lighting. It's all about light and depth penetration.
I have run my filter while doing my cycles. It helps build up more bacteris.
What do you have in the filter?
Lighting can affect what grows on your rock (if you get hitch hiker corals) and macroalgaes. As for the other hitch hikers, it won't matter.
It sounds like you are close to finishing the cycle. Once your ammonia and nitrItes hit 0, check nitrAtes and you will probably need to do a PWC.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 09-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #6

I bought some more live rock tonight from a different LFS. I also bought a Koralia Nano to put some current in the tank. Everything seems to be going well.

One interesting thing that happened tonight was when I was rearranging the new LR, I noticed something moving. At first I thought it was a piece that broke off and was moving with the current, but a closer look made me think otherwise. It's a baby starfish. It only has three legs, but is cool nonetheless.

What do I need to do to keep this guy alive? Today's readings were 0.5ppm Ammonia, 5ppm Nitrite, 0 Nitrate. I would have to say I have at least a week on the cycling process to go. Will he survive?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:26 AM   #7

Like I said, I bought some more live rock today. I rearranged the tank and I think this will be better. What do you all think?

Old 09-18-2008, 01:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
What do you have in the filter?
Sorry...I have the bio filter pack that comes with the AquaClear 50. I would like to eventually get some LR rubble for it, but at the time being, I might as well use this while I have it.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds like you have an asternia star. Generally harmless, unless you get the rare types that munch corals. It may make it through the cycle. If it made it through the ammonia you are probably good.
Here is a site with some common hitch hikers:
Xtalreef

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 09-25-2008, 01:21 AM   #10

Updates!

Have tested and I am now at 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

Here are some pictures. I have added two Percs, 3 Peppermint shrimp, 3 Mexican turbo snails, and an emerald crab. Shrimp and crab were tucked beneath the rocks. What party poopers!

Does anyone know what kind of coral that is in the center of picture 3? Roommate said it looks like a star polyp. Not quite sure if you can tell from the picture though.

Thanks for the help, hope you enjoyed the pics. More to come later!

Tags
20 gallon, nano, nano reef, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com