Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Try the ball valve on the noisy drain. Some folks have luck with that and it seems to be an easier mod than that gurgle buster.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:11 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think the gurgle buster is even easier as it just slips into the drain. For a valve below I'd have to buy another valve and cut the hose under there. Plus it'd be more expensive. I'll try the gurgle buster (4 bucks in parts) and if it fails I'll take it out and try a ball valve. I may replumb and use all pvc under the stand rather than the flexible and clear tubing I have now. Not sure that'd make any difference though.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

I suggest you leave the soft pipes under there. Easy to move around if you need to.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks. I would design it with valves and couplers to remove the entire center section with just a rotation of two fittings. The gurgle buster couldn't flow enough water as I purchased 1" ID PVC for the drain and I think even w/ 12 1/2" holes it didn't seem to flow enough, I could be wrong but water seemed to struggle to stay below the highest row of holes which lead me to believe I needed more flow.

Dave
Old 01-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Was it quiet though?
Old 01-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nope was making a ton of noise because the water was usually over the top row of holes and I had to remove the top cap to let air into the system. Rather than holes I may cut out the entire side of it is so it's one bit square opening rather than a bunch of small holes.

Dave
Old 01-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Regular

this is getting a tad annoying. Every few hours it surges for a bit and sounds like a toilet flushing then goes away. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks
Dave
Old 01-17-2015, 11:29 PM   #48
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

This makes me think of when my sump was plumbed with flex tube. It would gargle and be loud and when I adjusted the tube's positioning was able to make it go away. It just had too much sag in it. May or may not be something similar, but worth playing around with.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was thinking the same thing but if you look at the pictures of the right drain tube it is a near diagonal. really thinking of maybe going with pvc
Old 01-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

How do you think that will help though...I mean from a physics standpoint.....If the shape of the drain is the issue, moving it around until you get the right spot should do the same thing, right?

Tags
ate, flow, ick, overflow, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com