Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't know, i'm nearly out of ideas. It only happens on the right side and unfortunately the right side hose is further away from the sump by a few feet so I cannot do that spiral hose routing Like I have on the left side which is quiet.

Dave

Old 01-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have no way to quantify flow but I just ended up reducing flow out of the pump w/ a ball valve. I noticed zero change on the output at the sump so I am assuming the pump may have been overpowering the overflows. I don't understand why the left one was fine but my best guess is that fact that it nearly went straight down and the spiral may have helped the water velocity whereas the right one angles about 70 degrees out of the bulkhead and then angled about 30 degrees until it hits the sump at about 60 degrees. No idea for sure though.

Based on my calcs w/ an 1800 GPH pump and a 3/4" ID outlet hose to a Y then up to each bulkhead (57" rise) I'm right at about 1000 GPH w/o any throttling back of the flow. I have to assume the megaflow overflows can cover that. No?
Dave

Old 01-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
They should be able to no problem.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Regular

You'd think so but it makes no sense that the right one is very loud and surges like crazy sometimes unless I keep the flow throttled way back.

Dave
Old 01-19-2015, 01:20 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Regular

Little more update, the problem seems to follow the actual adjustable pipe/intake. However I did dial down the flow a bit as anything over 1/2 on the ball valve just causes nothing but surge so I'm not 100% sure that is true. At about 1/2 (Throttling right after pump) one Is dead quiet and the other one isn't bad if I stick a hose in it. What I don't get is the water level on the louder one is a bit lower when using the actual 180 degree intake bend as a reference (tank is level). Despite the height of that intake pvc the water level "should" be at the same height on the pipe on both overflows I would assume. It's a good inch lower on the loud side. TO me this indicates one drain is more efficient than the other and the water is exiting the intake tube faster thus not causing backup and water level increase. I did try to increase flow to test this theory though and it did not rise the water level on that side. Can anyone think of any reason the water level on one overflow would be lower.

I've added a pic for reference to what I'm referring to.
Perplexed..
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	261534  
Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

What happens when you completely remove the 180 on the loud side and just try to quiet it with a piece of airline tubing?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Regular

So basically just the vertical pipe and holding a piece of airtube in the vertical pipe?

Dave
Old 01-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup. Can't hurt to try it. It's worked for me before.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'll give it a go. I also noted when the entire pipe was out (just bulkhead) it was quieter also.

Dave

Tags
ate, flow, ick, overflow, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com