Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2015, 04:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New 210g w/ center overflow water trickling sound

I am running a mag 1800 pump and according to my calculations it was the proper flow after calculating losses. I do have a ball valve and can restrict the flow but how much is too much? I am over 1/2 way to get the trickling to a fairly quite level. Is this going to load the pump too much? Do I have too much pump for my tank? It's an aqueon w/ the mega flow overflows.
Dave

Old 01-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Where is the sound coming from, the crashing of the water in the sump, or up top where the water is coming into the prefilter box? If it's up top, you can raise the height of the standpipe to make less distance for the water to fall. This should quiet it down a bit. If it's the mixture of air and water going into the pipe that's noisy, you might try shoving a piece of airline tubing down the drain pipe until it quiets, then taping it off somewhere.
Down below you may need to implement filter socks(I hope you have these already, for the large particulate matter) and possibly tilt the pipes so the water comes down on an angle or maybe put a T on them.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's more of a trickle. It is coming from both the Eshoppes WD300CS sump and the overflows. The overflows are most of what I'm hearing as they are by my ear. I have dialed the ball valve down a bit and I have quieted it some. Wifey says its acceptable to her but I'd still like to quiet it a bit more. I certainly can dial the ball valve down a bit more . The standpipe that came w/ the megaflows are as high as they can go.
Looked a bit further and the trickle is actually coming from water coming out of a hole at the top of the output that is drilled right at the 90 at the top of the tank before it splits off into the telescoping dual outputs. Any idea what those holes are for?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holes.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	260744  
Old 01-11-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

They are I believe anti siphon holes so you don't flood when the power goes off.I had the same problem with the noise as you. I put a short piece of airline tubbing in mine so it is just below the water line and that seemed to work for me.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, those should have been drilled just below the water line.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Yes, those should have been drilled just below the water line.
Is there a reason the water level in the overflow is so low then? I have the pump input pvc fitting as high as it'll go.

Dave
Old 01-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to raise the standpipe if you want the water level higher. What exactly is the pump input pvc fitting you are referring to?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
You need to raise the standpipe if you want the water level higher. What exactly is the pump input pvc fitting you are referring to?
Sorry I was referring to the stand pipe. It's is fully extended. This is a megaflow kit for the aqueon tank.

Dave
Old 01-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tried a piece of airline tubing down the drain?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will try that next. I assume I have to enlarge that top hole to get the hose through? I have the standpipes as high as they will go. I've attached two pics, should the water level be higher than this in the overflows?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-12 16.33.39.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	260882   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-12 16.33.22.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	260883  

Tags
ate, flow, ick, overflow, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com