Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

new 220 reef ready tank :)

hey all i just want to tell everyone that we decided to get a 220 reef ready tank. i have 3 400 watt MH, and a 55 gallon sump. the question is if i fill the sump with a DSB and LR, and put LR in the main tank will that be enough filtration, with a skimmer... i will post picks as soon as it gets in had to special order it lol. also there will be a DSB in the main tank too.

Old 01-12-2004, 01:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

At 1.5 lbs of LR per gallon of water you use that should be fine. Of course you will need powerheads as well to create plenty of current. Make sure there are no dead spots with out current in the tank.

Old 01-12-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The DSB and LR filter the water in a different way than a skimmer. The only real substitution for a skimmer is increased water changes, lighter fish load and less frequent feedings.

Honestly with that large of a system and the money that your going to be putting into it I would add a skimmer.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

i will have a skimmer the question was with enough LR and a skimmer will that be enough filtration
Old 01-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Oh. I read your message wrong.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerejohnson
i will have a skimmer the question was with enough LR and a skimmer will that be enough filtration
Depends on how much LR you have and your bio-load. Most recommend 1-1.5lbs of rock per gallon. Or to save money you can do some LR and some base rock. The base rock will eventually grow into LR. Awesome tank!! I wish I had somewhere to put a tank that big!

Tags
reef, reef ready, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com