New 25 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loraina

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am starting my first community tank. I have three 1 gallon unfiltered betta tanks, but they are the only fish I've kept until now. I have been trying to pick stock and have a preliminary list:

1 Zebra Pleco
2 African Dwarf Frogs
1 Freshwater Flounder
4 Fancy Guppies
2 Dwarf Gouramis
3 Swordtails
2 Mollies, or 2 Killifish
1 Mystery Snail (brig)

So there it is. Is that a good number for a 25 gallon tank? Are there any suggestions for changes to that list, either for compatability or just for fun?

Will the snail be okay with the amount of salt that needs to be added to the water for the various fish? With this group what should that amount be? What plants and accessories would you recommend?

Also, which fish should I start with for the cycling period? Should the tank be planted for cycling? Anything else you think I should know - please speak up. :)

Hi - I see this is your very first post - so let me be the first to welcome you to AA. Its great that your doing research before getting your fish. This forum helped me set up my tank and I know you'll get lots of help here also.

I like your stocking list but have a couple of "pointers" you might want to think about.

I don't think you actually NEED to add salt for the mollies and swordtails, tho I've heard they "like a little salt". The flouder definitely will need salt, so you might want to skip that and get a few really cute cory catfish for the bottom of your tank instead and then skip the addition of the salt. Most fish will be ok with a little salt in the water, but its really not necessary and can actually irritate some species, so to be "better safe than sorry" you can leave it out.

There have also been mixed results with keeping two male gourami's in tanks around your size. If you could try to find a male and a female you should be ok - but sometimes its hard to tell - so take a look at photos of both males and females so that you can pick them out easily (don't rely on just what the fish store tells you - sometimes they know alot less than us).

The guppies, swordtails and mollies are also all livebearers and will give you lots and lots of babies so you should have a plan for them. Even if you don't catch and try to raise the babies some will survive and you may find yourself overstocked someday - so just be prepared. :)

If you plant the tank you'll more than likely have a faster cycle, and it easier to plant when the tank is empty, so I say go for it ! There's a planted tank forum in aquarium advice that can help you select the best plants based upon the type of lighting and number of watts of light you have.

Rather than using fish to cycle your tank you might want to do whats called a "fishless cycle". When you use fish to cycle you're actually subjecting the fish to ammonia and nitrites, which are unhealthy for them. You also need to do alot of water changes to keep those ammonia and nitrite levels down. If you cycle without fish then you don't have to do the water changes and no fish are suffering. Here's an article you can read (it says "saltwater" but its the same exact process for freshwater):
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Come on back with questions - I'm sure lots of folks will jump in the answer :)

WELCOME !!!!

loraina

Welcome Loraina!! If you have a question or problem, someone here has an opinion on it. :D Kidding!!!! Lots of good folk with excellent advice. I would like to add a couple of points to what Joannde posted. Check the species of Killifish carefully. All have VERY big mouths and will eat any fish thy can cram in. One of the most common in fish stores, the Golden Wonder, can get over 5 inches. Guppies would be a snack. Also live bearers, like mollies, usually do best with one male and 2, or better yet, 3 females. Keeps the amorous males from harassing one female too much. In theory, anyway.

And finally, if you can find a source for a zebra pleco that does not cost an arm and a leg ........... send me a private message with the name! I will be in your debt forever!!!!! And as a man who was married and is now divorced .......... I understand "debt forever" Man, I am gonna hear about that one, ain't I? LOL

Re: loraina

JeffreyL said:
Welcome Loraina!! And as a man who was married and is now divorced .......... I understand "debt forever" Man, I am gonna hear about that one, ain't I? LOL

ROFL - well, as a woman I LIKE IT ! ROFL (kidding .... sort of .... LOL)

joannde

And a good evening to you too, Joannde. I shoulda figured you would comment. LOL At least I have not yet had to prove once again that a size 11 foot WILL fit in my mouth. But the night is young!!

Welcome!

I have some suggestions on stocking. Several of them go along with what the other two have already said.

*Since mollies like salt, I'd skip them and just go with swordtails. I don't think they need salt. I'd go with 2 males and 3-4 females. They get about 3-4 inches...so they will take up a good amount of space in your tank.

*Usually dwarf gourami males don't get along and males are all you find in most LFS. I'd just get one...it won't get lonely.

*I'd skip the freshwater flounder. It needs a little salt, so I'd leave it for a tank that has other salt liking critters in it.

*I'd skip the killies...unless you get something that is small. I don't know much about them, so i can't offer any suggestions.

*If you want guppies, I'd get all males. You will already have lots of fry from the 3-4 female platies...no need to add more to the mix with guppies. You could still have 4 though, but males only.

*And yes, if you can find a reasonably priced zebra pleco, let me know also. I'm afraid about the lowest price you will see for one is around $200...if that.

So that leaves you with:
1 dwarf gourami
5-6 platies (either 2m/3f or 2m/4f)
4 male guppies
2 small killies (bluefin or clown killies are smaller types...but may not be common)
1 pleco (zebra if you can find or clown or bristlenose)

You will have some room on the bottom for a shoal of smaller cories. I'd go with panda cories, bandit cories, or 3-line (trilineatus) cories. The smallest types (pygmy and habrosus) are more sensitive and don't stay on the bottom...and cories such as bronze, albino, sodalis, and paleatus get too large for your tank size.

Hello again, and thank you for your helpful replies and welcomes!

Because of your suggestions I have changed my stock list around a bit to:
1 Zebra or Clown Pleco
2 African Dwarf Frogs
2-3 Cory Cats (Bandit or Panda)
4 Fancy Guppies (all male)
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Swordtails (1m, 2f)
2 Killifish
1 Mystery Snail (brig)

I loved the suggestion of trading the flounder for cory cats. They are so cute!
Of course, further suggestions are more then welcome.

http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19160

As a thank you I am posting this link I found for a sale of Zebra Pleco fry, which was posted today over at www.plecofanatics.com. They are being offered for $100 a piece (preferably groups of 3 or more.) Live delivery guaranteed. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be setting up my tank until September so I won't be able to take advantage, but I hope this is helpful to some of you!

Thank you Loraina, that was sweet. I found a similar price for Zebra fry on Aquabid. Unfortunately, for me, $100 for one fish is an arm and a leg. lol Good luck with the new tank!!

Unfortunately, for me, $100 for one fish is an arm and a leg. lol Good luck with the new tank
I agree...wow, I could buy another tank for that much...

I have one more suggestion on the stocking...for the cories, I'd go with a minimum of 5. I know especially with pandas, they are alot more playful and happy in larger groups. In a 29g you will have room for 6-8 IMO. Maybe start off with 5 of the type you like and then later on get more if you want (and I'm sure you will, because they are so adorable).

:? It's true. $100 for a fish is A LOT. But in view of the fact that they are usually twice that or MORE I thought I'd pass it on. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford one when it comes down to it but I can dream.

And thanks with regards to the cories. I'll go for 5.

Luckily, in this one thing, I have experience. I have darling little a male Dwarf frog named "Tad" in one of my Betta tanks. I think the Dwarf variety are WAY cuter then their larger cousins. Thanks for the heads up though, I hear that is a common and sad mistake.

How about instead of a Zebra/Clown Pleco you get a Scribble Pleco (L129). Its in the same family as a Zebra and is smaller than the Clown pleco by about an inch (which is a big difference in a smaller tank!). It can be found at www.exoticfinds.net for $22.

Hello again,
Any thoughts on adding a pair of Longfin Zebra Danios to my stock list?
To recap it is 25 gallons with:
2 African Dwarf Frogs
1 Scribble or Leopard frog Pleco
5 Cory Cats (Bandit or Panda)
5 Fancy Guppies (all male)
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Swordtails (1m, 2f)
1 Mystery Snail (brig)

Plus 2 Longfin Zebra Danois?

Also any opinions on the Leopard frog pleco? I've heard they can be delicate. Anyone have any experience with the guys?

Danios are schooling, so once again you need a group of them. I'd either get atleast 6 or just leave them out. I think with the guppies, swordtails and their babies, your middle/surface area will be filled, so I'd just leave the danios out. If you are set on them, then get 6.

Back
Top Bottom