Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
get rid of that big filter on the bottom of that aquaclear power head.
is that little thing your protein skimmer? the one with the wooden air stone? that's very good for aerating the water, but not for much else i'm afraid.
you can and should remove the air stone that's behind the rock. you don't need that and it will probably just cause salt buildup on your hood and lighting.
i would also try to leave the lights off as much as possible while cycling the tank. during the cycle the water is nutrient rich. that combined with light makes for a perfect environment for nuisance algae to grow.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm thanks i'll keep it off, i've had it on during the day to add a nice look, but i'll keep it off while its cycling.

how come i should remove the filter on my headpump, are they not required?

is there a better brans of skimmer i should get?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Octopus brand skimmer is the best IMO.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

mines an oceanic, once my tank starts to get bigger i'll look into changing it out for now its not even collecting anything so theres no point
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

i mentioned removing the filter because it's obtrusive, and will probably just be a nitrate producing problem for you in a short time. why would you want to have to put your hands in the tank and freak out the fish to change/clean that thing weekly?

your tank is small. you could get away without a protein skimmer if you wanted. it's quite easy to keep that tank healthy and looking good with nothing more than weekly 15-20% water changes.
i would rather have more space inside the tank than that skimmer. generally, skimmers that are made for nanos don't really work very well. the oceanic model included.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

has anyone used an LED light strip for their reef aquariums. i'm an electrician so i have access to LED strip lighing, and i know an LED strip can give of alot more light at a MUCH MUCH lower wattage.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

the LED strips you have access to will not support photosynthetic creatures. the ones that LED reef fixtures utilize are 1 and 3 watts a piece. i'm not saying you can't build a fixture, but it's not a series of LEDs that are the same ones used in standard applications.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm i was just thinking, that with my power head filteri could always put ammonia and nitrogeon media fill in it and add some extra cleaning to the water.

its not a big tank and i know this so i'm tryign to figure out ways that i can increase the filtration and cleaning so i can put more then 4 fish. i've got 19 pounds of live rock which i moved around so i have more space for more which i'm told helps with filtering also
Old 01-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

after 2 weeks i did my test and the ammonian and nitrite came back at 0 ph came in at 8.1ish and nitrate at 5ppm so i figured i'd get a few hardy clownfish and some inverst, 4 snails 2 mexican turbos and 2 astreas and 3 hermit crabs( forgot what the yare called but they have blue legs, and aren't blue legged hermits lol)

Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

salt fish aren't like fresh water fish. you just can't put as many in a confined space, no matter how clean the water is. they will stress out, immune systems will get weaker, and they will get sick. either that or they will jump on you, or kill each other.
that said, it's never bad to have extra filtration.

Tags
6 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com