Originally Posted by mannyfern09
Im still undecided on what fish i want to put in...
maybe you can help me with the proc and cons of the reef fish and the predator fish?
I seem to want a couple from both ... as a grouper, clown fish, small little eals. Is there a way that all of these will end up together?
I know this isnt what you want to hear, but take it from someone who thought they knew what they were doing, and cost a poor little V-tail grouper and Lionfish their lives because I wanted to much in to small of a tank. I learned this lesson quickly, and it made me a better hobbyist.
.....I dont thing you can keep grouper, eels, lionfish, and other large growing predators in a 29 gal
, unless you already have a much larger tank ready to tranfer them to once they grow-------If you can do enough PWC
's to keep your toxins low enough for the fish to survive.....and I am talking 25% water changes once a week. If you just have to have one, limit yourself to one fish, and still do the water changes. And only feed him every couple days.
You would be better off with reef fish, they are easier to take care of because they dont poop as much, and they dont kill each other either.
Now...for the info on upgrading your skilter so it actually works and doesnt keep you up all night....
What you need:
Coralife Limewood airstone.
old 35mm film canister.(they will give them to you for free at any photo shop if you have a digital and dont use film)
1. Drill a small hole in the bottom of the body of the filter, in the center of the skimmer tube.
2. Insert the peice of plastic they give you that screws into the limewood airstone with the side that the air line plugs into facing down, through the bottom of the filter to ensure good fit...
3. THEN, cut the same size hole in the film canister, putting the plastic peice through the film canister, then the bottom of the tank(The film canister is to prvent bubble from going under the skimmer, it makes almost all of them go up).....silicone it in place. Let dry for 48 hours.
4. Then screw in your airstone while holing the siliconed peice tightly(as you dont want it to spin and break the seal, it will leak!)
5. Hook up your air pump and adjust the air flow so it doesnt overflow your collection cup!
6. You are done, plug it in and watch the tornado of bubbles work their magic....Silently! (Hook it up the way it comes and see how much noise it makes, you will thank me!)