New 29 G i need to no whats next.. HELP PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
M

mannyfern09

Just got myself:
29 gallon tank with
30 inch satellite lamp- 65 watts
Supreme Skilter 400
Live Sand as a base
Live Rock

I then put the saltwater, the live sand, and the live rock. I then put 4 fishes in the tank. im not certain on the name of them but the person at the store told me these are for the cycle. She then sold me on this item.....the Tropical Science SAFE-CYCLE....instead of a long cycle it shortens it to a 48 hour period.... other than what this lady has told me i have no idea on what im doing? Any 1 offer any help???

whats next on my list?
what fish do i start with?
Do i need to do anything else?

It is my experience that there is no real dependable, FAST, cycling method. We try to educate folks to a fishless method of cycling. At this point in time, if you are not wanting to take the fish back and continue on with a fishless cycle, the only thing you can do is keep testing your water to make sure that the toxicity remains somewhat low for the fish.

you think i should wait till when then to put my fish in?? and any advice on what fish to put?

Im still undecided on what fish i want to put in...
maybe you can help me with the proc and cons of the reef fish and the predator fish?
I seem to want a couple from both ... as a grouper, clown fish, small little eals. Is there a way that all of these will end up together?

mannyfern09 said:
Im still undecided on what fish i want to put in...
maybe you can help me with the proc and cons of the reef fish and the predator fish?
I seem to want a couple from both ... as a grouper, clown fish, small little eals. Is there a way that all of these will end up together?

I know this isnt what you want to hear, but take it from someone who thought they knew what they were doing, and cost a poor little V-tail grouper and Lionfish their lives because I wanted to much in to small of a tank. I learned this lesson quickly, and it made me a better hobbyist.

IMHO.....I dont thing you can keep grouper, eels, lionfish, and other large growing predators in a 29 gal, unless you already have a much larger tank ready to tranfer them to once they grow-------If you can do enough PWC's to keep your toxins low enough for the fish to survive.....and I am talking 25% water changes once a week. If you just have to have one, limit yourself to one fish, and still do the water changes. And only feed him every couple days.

You would be better off with reef fish, they are easier to take care of because they dont poop as much, and they dont kill each other either.

Now...for the info on upgrading your skilter so it actually works and doesnt keep you up all night....

What you need:
Skilter.
Coralife Limewood airstone.
drill.
silicone.
airpump.
control valve.
old 35mm film canister.(they will give them to you for free at any photo shop if you have a digital and dont use film)

1. Drill a small hole in the bottom of the body of the filter, in the center of the skimmer tube.

2. Insert the peice of plastic they give you that screws into the limewood airstone with the side that the air line plugs into facing down, through the bottom of the filter to ensure good fit...

3. THEN, cut the same size hole in the film canister, putting the plastic peice through the film canister, then the bottom of the tank(The film canister is to prvent bubble from going under the skimmer, it makes almost all of them go up).....silicone it in place. Let dry for 48 hours.

4. Then screw in your airstone while holing the siliconed peice tightly(as you dont want it to spin and break the seal, it will leak!)

5. Hook up your air pump and adjust the air flow so it doesnt overflow your collection cup!

6. You are done, plug it in and watch the tornado of bubbles work their magic....Silently! (Hook it up the way it comes and see how much noise it makes, you will thank me!)

HTH!

my problem wasnt my filter... my problem is i dont know what to put in my tank im undecided.... i love fishing, that pulls me towards the grouper like fish, the eels, then i also like the other fish the clown fish the colorfull reef fish. what can i do with this situation......

another concern is when do i out my fish in my tank? especially after using the 48 hour cycle?

thank you!!!

I would say wait for a while and let your tank cycle with a piece of shrimp. As far as your fish situation goes, take the ones you have back and think about what you want for fish. You won't be able to have a grouper in a tank that size for long. You could do a dwarf lionfish in your tank but you are going to need a good skimmer(not the skilter) and some good natural filtration (i.e. Lots of LR). Try to get about 1.5-2 lbs per gallon of LR. As far as an eel goes I think a 29 gal is pushing it for even a snowflake eel. Stick with some nano size fish or dwarf sized fish. Check out this site:
www.liveaquaria.com
This will give you some ideas on what you might be able to have. Remember though, dont rush it. You will wind up costing your self a lot of extra money and killing a lot of fish if you dont wait. Like Hara said, most of those off the shelf cycle stuff doesnt work. So dont waste any more money on it. This isnt a hobby you can rush. I have a 29 gal that I am now in the process of upgrading to a 50 gal. I know your frustrations on wanting bigger and better fish than what you can actually have in there. I have 2 clowns in mine and a bunch of corals. I think I could have a few more fish in there but not real big fish like a grouper, eel, or lionfish. Definately not any of those with clowns because they will eat the clowns. Anyway HTH-

Even though that may not be your problem, I would still modify the skimmer this way, it will work much better which is important if you plan on keeping a grouper.

I wouldnt put fish in for a couple weeks atleast...I let my nano reef mature 6 months before I added the first peice of stock!

I like grouper also becuse I enjoy fishing too....I enjoy it so much I do it for a living, I am a charter captain...check out my website www.mosquitolagooncharters.com.

Anyway, as much as I love them I keep 2....a 14" Panther grouper, and a 8 inch V-tail. They live in a 150 gal tank though!

As much as you like them, and as small as the tank they are being kept in at the LFS is compared to your 29 gal, the fish will not live successfuly in this small of a tank...BOTTOM LINE....Unless you are prepared to do very, very, very high maintinence to keep up with the NO2, NO3, and NH3/NH4. And pick the species you like the best, and as small as you can find, because he will be the only thing in the tank.

I would keep reef fish, clowns are cool, especially pairs, so are dotty backs.

If you really want a predator, go with a dwarf lion....but again he will be the only thing in the tank!

Im not trying to bust your balls, but do a search on my name and find the pics of the dying v-tail, and then ask yourself if you want your fish to look like that!

I learned a hard lesson at the price of some fishes lives(and 60$ to me!), im just trying to save you the headache!

thanks....

yeah i am brand new to this and i already want to upgrade. i see my self buying a new tank in the next couple tanks maybe a 50 gallon. keeping the 29 for reef fish and the 50 for the predators ... you think i will be fine with 2 clowns, 2 of the yellow fish im not shure on the name : /... and a dore from finding nemo? or is that to much?....

and for the shrimp i can put some shrimp in my tank now? and once i put those shrimp do i have to becareful with what fish i put in there or the shrimp is harmless???

Welcome to AA
IMO A 29 is way too small for a Tang, "Dori fish". As for the shrimp, they don't mean a live one they are talking about fishless cycling, which is the responsible fishkeepers way of cycling a tank. here is an article on that http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
If you decide not to go the fishless route you will need to do around 5gal pwc daily for probably at least a couple weeks. It would be a lot easier to go the fishless way. I don't mean to sound like a harsh prick, I just don't like fish to suffer.
There is lots of great articles here on this site http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2/ and great books http://www.aquariumadvice.com/library.php
HTH

you just confused me big time..... today is my second day with water live rock and 4 fish. what do i do for this next upcoming weekk.... and i put that fast 48 hour cycle? explain simple please because all these terms confuse me and i just get lost.

thanks for the helpp...

..but please keep helping :lol:

WELCOME TO AA!!

The shrimp is a cocktail shrimp from your local grocery store. They are used, in place of the live fish, to start your cycle. Right now, those poor fish are in a sewage pit. I suggest you take them back to the store and buy a raw, unspiced cocktail shrimp. Drop it in the tank. The rotting shrimp will produce ammonia, which will produce nitrites to nitrates. Once all those levels spike and then balance out to 0, your cycle will be over. Then you can start adding live stock. Take a look around on some websites and see what you like. Once you have an idea of what you would like to add to your tank, ask here, if it will be compatible with your current setup.

Good luck!

well for fish... i want a couple clowns, the yellow ones im not shure of the name?? theyre completely yellow? and maybe 1 or 2 more fish not shure on which i want? any suggestions???....

how long does this cycle usually last?...

Cycles can take a long time.....even though your fish look good now, they will be dead in a couple days, probably, unless you do massive water changes.

Good luck with your new tank!

Back
Top Bottom