New 29 gal Bio Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmg996

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now I have a 29 gal freshwater tank, ive kept freshwater off and on for 6 years. With a giant law settlement coming ive started looking over to the saltie side of the world. I plan on getting the Oceanic 29 gal Bio Cube. Ive never kept saltwater but i know i need live rock, and i want some corals. If someone can list what im going to need to buy, fish, lighting, I mean an ENTIRE list of how to start a saltwater tank please! Is the bio Cube good? :thanks:

I have a 29g cube. I'm using i for fish only right now but the stock lighting can support many basic corals. Zooa's, mushrooms,leather some LPS you have a pretty good selection if that's what you want.

The filtration is all built into it so the only thing you'd need to add is a heater.

As far as supplies count on:
LR and Base (dead) rock- saves you from buying all lr
Sand
salt
a refractometer
and an API saltwater master test kit

Thats what comes to mind right off the top of my head

Ive seen the perfect tank, my lfs has tons of 28 gal nano cubes. Not sure on the company i think its JBJ. Has 105 watts of lights, wave maker, built in filter ect. I plan on buying a 50 dollar skimmer specifically designed for the tank. And replacing the carbon and bio rings with live rock. How would i go about setting this up since im a saltie newb :p

A cube is an excellent first tank but please think about the stock limits for a 28 gallon figure 2 to 4 fish. Some fish need a longer tank even it is the same amount of gallons. Look at the fish you are wanting and see if you will really be happy with that size tank. There are other AIO as well like the red sea max or the solara there are more expensive and probably not any better but they do come bigger.

Nice mods link! I want to run a skimmer because im that type of guy who wants their fish to be very happy! And its only 50 bucks, same as my ac 50 filter. For stock im not too sure I want a oc clown, yellow watchman goby, some pistol shrimp, and mabie some snails. I dont know saltwater fish or corals so well. Are there any type of corals who dont need to be fed but use photosynthesis like plants? Because ive got over 4 watts per gallon on this tank, it has 2 260 something outputs and a wave maker so flow isnt a big issue. And with that stock list can i put anything else? What corals are recommended?

Depending on the skimmer you choose, you may have mixed results. But if thats the way you wanna go, sounds good.

Most corals use the light for food, its the majority. You wanna watch out for the ones you have to feed, like sun polyps. :)

Just started my 29 biocube 2 months ago. Starting to wish I got a protien skimmer because I have a cyano outbreak I'm trying to control. Definitely take your bio-balls out, buy a light and start a fuge. Definitely the way to go. My corals have been picky with the MH lights so make sure you place them accordingly. Frequent water changes seem to be a must for this size setup. If anyone can give any advice for my Cyano issue it would be greatly appreciated!

What fish can I put in there? I definite given is the OC clown, yellow watchman goby, and pistol shrimp?

For corals if you are going with the stock lights you can get mushrooms, zoas, leathers or xenia. You will should be able to get some LPS like frogspawn or candycane which I have had good luck with with PC, T5 or MH lighting.

Any ideas with stock? And whats the easiest way to mix salt? Seems hard to get it at exactly 1.024 or whatever :blink:

Back
Top Bottom