Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-14-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to Gloomy
New 29gal tank...playing in the water

Hi...I'm new to the forum...Thought I would post my new adventure with fish...Yesterday I got a gift of 29 gal aquarium kit, yay! Due to a lack of room I passed my 10 gal on to my friends son. Unfortunately I just put in a new filter cartridge in it the day before...doh! But I did save most of the water and some of the gravel. Due lack of funds it will be a while before the new tank will be fish ready...I need plants and hidey places...I decide to mess around with the fishless cycling...after adding the old water water and gravel, i added a bit of fish food to the tank and set the heater to 80 degrees and started up the filter. When I came home from work this morning...the water is supremely cloudy and smelly. I tested the water and here are the results....

Ammonia: .50
Nitrate: 5.0
Nitrite: .2
Ph- 7.2

I am so confused...i am assuming that something entertaining is happening...good or bad...I am running to the store in a bit to get some ammonia.. Then just kick back and see just what kinds of results I get...and yes!! I rinsed everything...including the gravel very well.

Gloomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA! The established gravel is probably still holding some nitrates. Ammonia will ensure a quicker cycle.

AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I agree. I'd go ahead and start dosing the ammonia. The cycle shouldn't take very long at all.
2 planted tanks: 40g, 20g ; 38g Reef tank
My links to pics: 40g breeder planted build, 40g breeder planted update, My 38g Reef Build

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
goos luck on your cycle and new tank. Welcome aboard!
Musket is offline   Reply With Quote

29 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com