New 29gal tank...playing in the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gloomy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi...I'm new to the forum...Thought I would post my new adventure with fish...Yesterday I got a gift of 29 gal aquarium kit, yay! Due to a lack of room I passed my 10 gal on to my friends son. Unfortunately I just put in a new filter cartridge in it the day before...doh! But I did save most of the water and some of the gravel. Due lack of funds it will be a while before the new tank will be fish ready...I need plants and hidey places...I decide to mess around with the fishless cycling...after adding the old water water and gravel, i added a bit of fish food to the tank and set the heater to 80 degrees and started up the filter. When I came home from work this morning...the water is supremely cloudy and smelly. I tested the water and here are the results....

Ammonia: .50
Nitrate: 5.0
Nitrite: .2
Ph- 7.2

I am so confused...i am assuming that something entertaining is happening...good or bad...I am running to the store in a bit to get some ammonia.. Then just kick back and see just what kinds of results I get...and yes!! I rinsed everything...including the gravel very well. :D

Welcome to AA! The established gravel is probably still holding some nitrates. Ammonia will ensure a quicker cycle.

goos luck on your cycle and new tank. Welcome aboard!

Back
Top Bottom