New 30 - Any recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rorsia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I've got the saltie bug.

Moving around has really messed with this idea because who wants to keep moving a 200lbs+ tank everywhere? I finally have a place to stay for awhile so I believe I'll give it a try.

Besides the basics, does anyone have recommendations on what equipment should be invested in? Top priority is the protein skimmer. The tank, as the title suggests, is a 30g tank.

Currently it's got 5g worth of saltwater being filtered through an in-tank pump that is completely TEMPORARY because of an inheritance of a blue leg hermit. Besides that, I've got a 100 watt lamp clamped on it at the moment. I know, extremely basic >.< but I would love to get this going.

I have some thoughts, but I realize what I'm about to say probably raises your startup costs... Others may have different opinions

Forget the BIO Wheel and just buy Live Rock.

As far as the skimmer goes...when I recently researched them for my 45Gal (which is the same tank as yours with 15 extra gallons in height) I found that not many people liked the Seaclone. I ended up buying a AquaC Remora brand Skimmer. I guess my point is, you get what you pay for.

You lighting would be fine as long as you don't want Corals

Other Items needed:

Sand - Go with Fine Aragonite
Test Kits - Master Reef Kit
Salt Mix
Power Heads

I don't think you really need a skimmer on that sized tank. I don't run a skimmer on my 55 or 125 (but I do keep a low bioload). If you have to have a skimmer, don't skimp...I don't think the sea clone is one of the better brands.
Skip the hydrometer and get a refractometer, much more accurate and easy to read.

I agree with Scott. The tank doesn't need a skimmer, just consistent partial water changes (PWCs), and get the refractometer instead. Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate. Also, I agree in part with goisles, as I would skip the Bio wheel (they are better for FW). Live rock is the best biological filtration, but if you want additional filtration, like I have, I would highly recommend the Aqua Clear 50 for that tank. It has 3 stage filtration with carbon (which may beome necessary, as it helps you keep a more diverse stock, and will eliminate any medications that you may have to dose the water with for certain things. The filter also has porous ceramic media, which allows for additional biological filtration by housing aerobic bacteria. like goisles said, Decide what you want to keep, and research the lighting requirements now. Do yourself a favor. So many of us make the mistake of buying lights, now, and later find out they aren't suitable for something we'd really like to keep. You can house the most w/metal halides, but can keep plenty of things under power compact. So....do the research..you'll be happt you did.

Also...props to Mike on the link he posted. That ought to help you a bunch when deciding what to do. Also, I'd go with a 125W heater in that tank. Get TWO (2) tank thermometers...as you may have seen on another thread around here, someone killed almost their entire tank because the thermometer was faulty.

Back
Top Bottom