Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
New 30 Gal Reef

Good Day,

I started cycling a 30 gal 2 days ago and had a couple questions. Right now I've got sand, live rock (15lbs going to 30), a heater, a 240 power head and a 750 power head. I got tank water from my LFS and just waiting for sand to settle right now. Im planning a reef setup.

I'm wondering, with this setup, if I have a protein skimmer, do I need a filter? Which is more reasonable - a canister or HOB? I'm more concerned with tank cleanliness & health than cost, but don't want to throw $ at something totally redundant.

I'm looking at a Seaclone 100 skim bc as I understand it can be HOB at first then moved into a sump if I decide to later. Is this a decent unit? Or am o better with a Prism HOB?

Should I be running the skimmer during cycling or will it hurt the process?

Should I do a PWC towards the end of cycling before live stock goes in?

If I'm buying water from my LFS for PWC, 5 Gal in a bucket, how long can it sit sealed before I add salt to do the change?

I think that's it for now.

Thanks a ton!

MikeYQM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Filter over skimmer, especially with only having a 30 gallon.

I would wait for other people to chime in if I were you, I'm still learning, but, afaik, as long as you do good weekly changes, on a 30 gallon you should be ok with no skimmer, just a filter.

aaronalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, that's the first I heard that, my guy says I'd be good with just power heads & bio filtering and I've read skimmer with no filter and skimmer and filter.

I *think* if I need both, I'll get a HOB skim and canister filter like the Fluval to minimize clutter on the tank.
MikeYQM is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com