New 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pauls Aquariums

Aquarium Advice Regular
alright, so ive been in the hobby for a while now and im ready to go marine. i know i need live rock and live sand just how much? also do i need a sump or a skimmer? i dont know what kind of fish i would get because im not too familiar with SW. any advice with anything realted to start up and cycling would be much appreciated.

I have a thirty, and love the size. Aim for 1-2lbs per gallon of live rock. The amount if sand depends on the person. Some use enough to cover the bottom. I have 3 inches of sand in my tank, and it has helped add flavor to the tank. Start off with some damsels to cycle the tank for a month. Most LFS will let you return the damsels for credit.

ok cool, i have live sand now, but it made my water pretty cloudy, do i just put new water in until its clear or should i add the sand now

The other alternative (and a better alternative in my opinion) is to cycle the tank with live rock and seed it with either a rotting piece of shrimp or pure ammonia. That way the fish doesn't suffer and you have to do less water changes. There are lots of sticky's on this site explaining the process.

well i plan on picking up a piece of live rock tomorow but that does sound like a good idea, also i have a lot of dead rock, can i make it live from the piece that i will get tomorow?

You make it live by cycling your tank. Sump not necessary, but helpful. Skimmers are nice to own as well, but not too important as long as you can keep doing the weekly water changes.

Back
Top Bottom