New 30 gallon sw tank with cloudy filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JulieFurry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set my 30 gallon saltwater tank up 2 nights ago. I had gravel in there but then got the live rock and added that. Well the tank was extremely cloudy and then settled down fairly quickly (in about 8 hours). Well today the filter was removed (I don't know the details I was at work) and cloudy water was behind the filter and filled the fishtank again so now my fishtank is all cloudy agian. Will the cloudy water eventually get better from behind the filter?

Welcome to AA. :)

Did you rinse the gravel? Also to add, gravel isn't well suited for salwater aquarium because of the amount of gunk it traps under it. Sand it much better and easier to care for. Will cause you less issues in the long run with water quality.

I'm unsure what you mean from "water was cloudy behind the filter". Does your filter cartridge just need rinsed? Did you rinse the liverock when you got it?

Welcome to AA.

Did you rinse the gravel? Also to add, gravel isn't well suited for salwater aquarium because of the amount of gunk it traps under it. Sand it much better and easier to care for. Will cause you less issues in the long run with water quality.

I'm unsure what you mean from "water was cloudy behind the filter". Does your filter cartridge just need rinsed? Did you rinse the liverock when you got it?

Thanks for the welcome. I rinsed the gravel really well before putting it in the tank. I took the gravel out, for that reason, before putting in the sand. What I meant was the water behind the filter looked exactly like what the water looked like after we added the sand. The filter cartridge is brand new and was rinsed before being put in the filter. I just purchased the filter 3 days ago and set the tank up 2 days ago. What I meant was we got the live sand not live rock (sorry my mistake). The sand was already wet when we purchased it and we were told to just dump it in the tank and let the water settle.

It will take a few days for the sand to settle with the finer sand taking a little bit longer. I use a coarser sand so it did not take but a day.

I used a bag that my arogonite came in to, then dumped the water into the bag and then it flowed into the tank not to much stirring though!! Smily not sure how to do that took 2 days to clear to crystal clear water again.

Back
Top Bottom