New 300 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I'm looking to move it in this weekend. Just bought a sump and ordered a return pump today. Hoping to have it up and running over Thanksgiving weekend. I ordered the Jebao 10000 water pump rated for 2600 GPH. It can be used internal or external. Anyone have experience with that brand and/or model?

i have one of their Wp40 powerheads. its def a cheaper unit but seems sturdy enough. offers insane performance for the price point

That's good to hear. Hopefully this will last. I moved the tank in tonight and had to do some demolition to the stand. The darn thing wouldn't fit into the house. I cut it down and did a temp rebuild while I had some help here. I'll finish shoring it up over the next few days. I'll have to completely redo the plumbing as it wasn't made for this height. It actually worked out well because the stand as it was (even with adding some additional bracing) was not built to my comfort level. It needed a lot of work. I'll post more pics as I go along. Here it is now without the hood.

image-3126260904.jpg

Just got the pump in the mail. Looks like I have no choice but to make it external. The screws in the intake area are metal, so not taking any chances putting it in the sump. The pump is pretty big anyway, so it'll leave more room in the sump.

image-1377951346.jpg

The mag pumps have exposed screws as well and don't rust. They are probably made of some marine grade stainless. You would just need to find out if the pump is safe for saltwater submerged.

Finally finished the stand today and got parts for plumbing. It was ridiculously slow going, but I blame the Colorado weather on it. Plumbing is happening tomorrow. Shouldn't be too bad. Laying everything out, I know I'll need a few more parts, but what's new.. Haha.

image-3905083583.jpg

Well this has been a slow moving project. I had some leaking from the bulkheads, and of course they wouldn't unscrew. I had to cut them off an order some online. They should finally be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I put some more live rock in my 150 that I will be transferring to the 300. There's about 320 lbs of live rock in it and the sump now. I'm hoping to get everything going this weekend. Fingers crossed!!

image-2157286594.jpg

300 tank

Wow thats a fookn huge tank. really nice. il stay posted on this. good luck

Thanks. The pile of rock isn't pretty, but it's doing its job staying alive for the transfer.

The lion is a volitan lionfish. It's about 7". Love that thing. Added a couple pics of my Miniatus grouper (darn thing is camera shy) and one of the puffers.

image-1085310360.jpg

image-1461888499.jpg

image-3173347432.jpg

lol goose. everyone of those fish merits a "your tank isnt big enough for him, he will eventually outgrow it" responses from me.....for one rare instance though, this tank actually IS big enough lmao

I laughed at that post, huma-huma. I read posts with fish that need swimming space crammed into tiny tanks. I just don't see getting enjoyment out of that. Having fish in an appropriately sized aquarium makes all the difference. You actually get to view their true behavior they would display in the wild (or at least close enough). Seeing a tang bounce off the walls all day wouldn't be all that interesting to me at all. But, just my opinion. Glad you approve of my fish and tank size... Lol.

im a HUGE fan of the scorpionfish family. (esp. lions!) only thing i dont like is that as a volitan ages, the nice,long, wavy fins turn into short stubby arms lool

You have a great looking lion! This build is going to be awesome once everything gets up and running.

I decided to try something new with the lighting. It has two 400 watt metal halides and two 250 watt already, but was thinking of my electric bill. I ordered some LED rope lighting today. It's a FOWLR and only two feet deep, so I figured I'd see how it would work. The reviews said they were bright and some actually said they've used them for aquariums. They're made by Taotronics and only $30. Why not give it a shot I figured.

Lion looked different in first pic, thought it was an Atlantic Lion but then I realized they need cool water

Pretty sure any lion fish found in the Atlantic or Caribbean is a accidental import of pacific lion fish lost by aquarists during hurricanes in Florida. Might be wrong about that, but that's what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom