New 300 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think there are any lion fish native to the Atlantic ocean, http://www.neaq.org/animals_and_exhibits/animals/lionfish/ Picture looks to me like a red volitans. Atlantic Coast of USA: Lionfishes have been established from Miami to North Carolina since 2002. They established in the Florida Keys in 2009. Although present in Atlantic waters north of North Carolina, they are not likely to survive cold winter temperatures. Gulf of Mexico: Other than the anomalous Treasure Island specimen (see Schofield 2010), the first confirmed specimens of lionfish taken from the Gulf of Mexico were in December 2009. Sightings of lionfishes are becoming common in the northern Gulf of Mexico, especially associated with artifical reefs (including oil/gas platforms). Bermuda, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos and Cayman Islands: Lionfishes were numerous in Bermuda by 2004 and established in the Bahamas by 2005, the Turks and Caicos by 2008 and the Cayman Islands by 2009. Greater Antilles: Lionfishes are established off all islands in the Greater Antilles (Cuba [2007], Jamaica [2008], Hispañola [Haiti and the Dominican Republic; 2008] and Puerto Rico [2009]). Lesser Antilles: Lionfish presence has been confirmed throughout the leeward and windward islands. For more details, see Schofield (2010). Caribbean coasts of Mexico, Central and South America: Lionfishes are established from Mexico through Venezuela (Mexico [2009], Belize [2009], Honduras [2009], Nicaragua [2010], Costa Rica [2009], Panamá [2009], Colombia [2010], Venezuela [2010]).

This is a Radiatas, Indo Pacific fish.

Attachments

• image-3071651167.jpg
    image-3071651167.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Range Description: Pterois lunulata is distributed from Korea and southern Hokkaido in Japan, southward through China, Taiwan, and Indonesia, to northern Australia, Queensland and New Caledonia.

Just got the bulkheads, silicone, led rope lights, and more salt mix in the mail today. No plumbing until tomorrow for me, but holy crap!! These rope lights are bright. Way better than I expected. I attached the pics below, but my phone on the camera doesn't do too good of a job showing how bright they are. Not as bright as reef led lights of course, but for my FOWLR, they'll do great. I can expand for more if needed later, but I don't think I'll have to.

image-404065439.jpg

image-2614134014.jpg

image-345225956.jpg

image-707237251.jpg

There's 16 feet, so it should be fine. If it doesn't look even enough, I'll spend 12 more bucks and get 16 more feet. I'll never spend the money on lights again (my reef tank excluded of course). And especially on freshwater tanks. This is more than enough light.

I put them on my 135 gallon Tanganyikan cichlids tank to see how it would do. Results are in... (And they were just thrown in there without aiming them down.

image-4033389707.jpg

Looks more like a soft even lighting as opposed to the overbearing power of reef lighting. I like it

Thanks. I didn't expect too much, but it's actually pretty nice looking. Plumbing will start tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed for no leaks this time around.

I don't think there are any lion fish native to the Atlantic ocean, http://www.neaq.org/animals_and_exhibits/animals/lionfish/ Picture looks to me like a red volitans. Atlantic Coast of USA: Lionfishes have been established from Miami to North Carolina since 2002. They established in the Florida Keys in 2009. Although present in Atlantic waters north of North Carolina, they are not likely to survive cold winter temperatures. Gulf of Mexico: Other than the anomalous Treasure Island specimen (see Schofield 2010), the first confirmed specimens of lionfish taken from the Gulf of Mexico were in December 2009. Sightings of lionfishes are becoming common in the northern Gulf of Mexico, especially associated with artifical reefs (including oil/gas platforms). Bermuda, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos and Cayman Islands: Lionfishes were numerous in Bermuda by 2004 and established in the Bahamas by 2005, the Turks and Caicos by 2008 and the Cayman Islands by 2009. Greater Antilles: Lionfishes are established off all islands in the Greater Antilles (Cuba [2007], Jamaica [2008], Hispañola [Haiti and the Dominican Republic; 2008] and Puerto Rico [2009]). Lesser Antilles: Lionfish presence has been confirmed throughout the leeward and windward islands. For more details, see Schofield (2010). Caribbean coasts of Mexico, Central and South America: Lionfishes are established from Mexico through Venezuela (Mexico [2009], Belize [2009], Honduras [2009], Nicaragua [2010], Costa Rica [2009], Panamá [2009], Colombia [2010], Venezuela [2010]).

This is a Radiatas, Indo Pacific fish.

+ 1 on this, they are an invasive species from the pacific. They have spread through out the caribbean though and now are basiclly every where! (in the pacific and caribbean that is)

Stock list currently is going to be volitan lion, miniatus grouper, Niger trigger, narrow lined puffer, dogface puffer, spotted grouper, and a zebra eel. I'm looking to get a couple more larger fish. Any suggestions??

Korans, emperors, queens are nice as well. Aussie harlequin tusks are beautiful and get up to 10". Take a look at the marine betta too.

Stock list currently is going to be volitan lion, miniatus grouper, Niger trigger, narrow lined puffer, dogface puffer, spotted grouper, and a zebra eel. I'm looking to get a couple more larger fish. Any suggestions??

Man, now im wanting to upgrade! What do you feed every day lol? A whole red snapper?

How about a big wrasse? As posted above harlequins are awesome. Dragon wrasse?

Back
Top Bottom