New 300 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airgoose2222

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am buying a new (used) tank this week and have a couple questions. I've upgraded tanks before, but this is a big step up. I have three saltwater tanks already (150 gallon, 70, and 40). Can I combine the water/live rock from the 150 and 70 safely (both on separate filters) or just use one tank's water/live rock? Any other thoughts on this about any concerns are welcome. Thanks

there shouldn't be any issues with combining, people do it all the time. If you combine the fish from the tanks make sure they're compatible first.

Dont mix tank water It's better to use new water and acclimate the livestock to that water Take your time add live rock from all tanks, add the most aggressive last this gives the laid back fish time to find caves

Thanks for the information. Just got the tank this morning. Here's a few pics. It needs a good cleaning, and will debate if I buff it out or not. It'll be a couple weeks until I set it up I'm sure. Will update then.

image-676866058.jpg

image-1313380055.jpg

image-3444929843.jpg

If it were mine i'd buff it out Nothing worse than setting it up only to find it needs to be done.

Good point. I'm calling a refinishing company on Monday. Hopefully they will do it.

There are a couple places in my general area that are doing acrylic buffing for between $1.00 to ,50 per gallon. If I had a big acrylic tank, I would do it. Once that is up and running, you won't go back and have it done.

Following too. :)

That doesn't seem too bad. What kin of companies are they? I found a couple plastic repair places in town, just curious if you know more specifically what the companies your referring to call themselves. I will probably reprint the stand and good too while I'm at it. As for a refugium, what size would you think would be good?

There are a couple that are listed on Craigslist. Aquarium or Acrylic Restoration services is what I would search. Seems like a while ago I used to see them advertise for a dollar a gallon, but I saw another recently for fifty cents.

Sump/refugium is what I'm doing. Need a ton of macro algae to grow in there to say the least. I have a 135 or a 150 I could use, but they're already in use. I really don't want to buy another big tank, as I just got this one. I may look into plastic troughs from a feed company. That may work. The stand dimensions that I can fit something into would be 90"x28"x32". My 150 may be my best option. It's 60"x24"x24". Not sure on that on yet though. Decisions, decisions:)

If I did feed troughs, I would just plumb straight down into them. The tank has built in overflows that go through the stand for me to plumb however I needed. No going through the plastic anywhere. I'll just have to look at making some baffles for it. I reinforced the stand today. It was up for a few years as it was, but I'm kind of a stickler with them. Needs some paint, but otherwise I'm happy with it. The hood is on top of the stand right now add 24 inches more for the tank height, and this thing is about 7 feet tall.

image-767897079.jpg

image-731608477.jpg

image-1549431578.jpg

Trying to be patient with this, but can't wait to get this guy into his new home.

image-3263123855.jpg

image-1763472940.jpg

image-441466231.jpg

Dont mix tank water It's better to use new water and acclimate the livestock to that water Take your time add live rock from all tanks, add the most aggressive last this gives the laid back fish time to find caves

I agree with this post. Especially if you are using your own good quality salt mix with predictable pH and other parameter levels. When I moved I used 100% new water and my corals loved did.

That stand looks under built I would've added some bracing too Awesome eel

I think its ok honestly. those 2x4's can hold a ton of compression weight. its the side weight that breaks them easily. although id be worried about that front middle support. add a 2x4 there behind the front piece.

I added a 2x4 behind the front brace too. Just can't see it in the picture. Thanks for that though. The water weight alone will be 2400 pounds so I would much rather be safe than sorry.

Yeah i dont really see 3000lbs or so being an issue for those. If you wanted to be certain you can always double them up

Back
Top Bottom