[NEW] 30G FOWLR Tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PICTURES will be posted really soon :)..

alot of things have been delayed due to me being in college and i have been taking midterms and Yeah :)

Started Cycling today, theres alot of holes and hiding places for my future fishes :)

img0237ci.jpg

thanks :).. the remora skimmer is producing alot of micro bubbles hopefully it will go away before i add any fishies..

Rearranged the rocks again for the last time i hope..
img0331wn.jpg

i believe my cycle is done :eek:!!!!
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
17-20 nitrate..
1.024 Salinity
8.2 PH

pics are all taken from iphone.

i might just add 1 fish for now to see how it goes :)

Don't add Damsel's, you will thank yourself later, everyone buys them as there first fish because they're cheap, but later on they terrorize tankmates and are just plain annoying.

i went to the fish store and bought 3 fishes lol.. my sister wanted two yellow tail damsels because she tought it was beautiful and not because it was cheap :).. im sure i can handle it.. and we also bought a spotted cardinal fish because its one of my most favorite. i love the tri color :)

all the fish seems to be happy and the cardinal is biting on some of my algae lol.. the damsels are hiding and exploring everything.

theres alot of hiding places for each fish there seems to be no problem with the damsels and my cardinal.

Pics taken from iphone.

img0342yp.jpg

img0344r.jpg

img0342yp.jpg

img0344r.jpg

Damsels are supposed to be the last fish you add to a tank, they harass the new fish you put in the tank, I lost a firefish because of them.

starting to have brown algae in the tank :(... its diatom i believe?..

will reducing light help kill them? and a water change ever so often?

Your tank really looks good.
I agree with blue the damsels are terrors. I have one in a tank as an only fish but I have seen him pick up a snail and just swim away with it and drop it somewhere, it tries to do that with the hermit crab and emerald crab as well. You might want to check out this on cardinal fish http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+26+85&pcatid=85. I believe they are nocturnal.

Diatom algae is normal in new tanks, do some water changes, cutting back on feeding and lights will help but usually it burns itself out.

yeah i go on the same website to learn more about the fishies.. the damsels was not my idea but hey i like em. yeah i know the cardinal is nocturnal but he/she comes out whenever i feed :) its a great fish to look at. the damsels are very nice in the tank so far.. hopefully they will be still once i add a ocellaris clown but there is alot of nice hiding places. i swear i cant find the damsels sometimes lol..

thanks alot :) joy13

We tried to warn ya about those damsels. Especially going in first like that. They may tend to be even more territorial as newcomers arrive and try to explore or hide in one of "their" spots. Stress from being picked on ofte brings illness to a tank.

Your rock work is very nice I might add, but pulling it all apart to catch those damsels is gonna be a huge chore. Hope the best for you though! Maybe it'll work for you. Just a higher probability it won't.

Last edited:
thanks for the comment. austindad.

i understand the damsels are a bit aggresive.. and yeah hopefully my damsels are not crazy lol.

will it be okay to add some cleaner shrimp and snails or crabs to the tank?

whats better crabs or snails?

You can have a combination of both snails and crabs. If you are going to have corals that will determine the type of crabs and snails you want. You don't want something that knocks over your frags.

All are OK to add. And there's no "better" between crabs and snails. They do completely different jobs. Snails do algae. Crabs (and shrimp) do leftover food particles the fish don't eat. So do starfish. Look at the brittle (not green!) or serpent varieties. Smaller ones. All above collectively called a CUC (clean up crew).

i heard brittle stars die easily i know i have some in my tank but they disappear. forever lol. they hide under my rocks. would 3-4 shrimp be too much? and 8 snails and 4 crabs?

should i buy extra shells also? due to the crabs killing each other?

This is a decent guide to a CUC ReefScavengers.Com | Saltwater Aquarium Supply | Cleaner Packages, Saltwater Fish, Corals & More!! If you go with hermits and snails make sure you have plenty of shells hermits will also kill a snail for the shell. You might be surprised if you fed your tank something like mysis shrimp you might see the star fish come out of hiding. I only see mine when I feed and spot feed my tank. I usually have a good idea of where they like to hang out.

One word of caution about shrimp when the molt the damsels might end up with an expensive dinner.:(

Back
Top Bottom