New 30g tank... What would you do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have just fallen into a 30g tank and stand. Remember that chiller I asked about? Well we decided that it was going to be cheaper to chill the tank than cool the whole house while we're not in it during the summer and the price was really great. It was the 1/10 hp chiller, RO/DI unit & TDS meter (which I'm selling off for 70$ since I already have one of each), a wavemaster pro controller, a couple of power heads, and a 30g tank & stand all for 200$.

I just got the Tunze controller two days before (what are the odds?!), am still waiting for the powerhead that I ordered with it (backordered, which I was expecting). If I hadn't already ordered those I'd put the wavemaster into my main. Hmmmm.

So, we're trying to figure out what to do with the new 30g tank and stand that we just got. Our main is a 120 reef setup with a wet/dry and (newly setup) fuge. Since we went with corals in our main display that left a lot of fish that we didn't consider since we went with a cautious reef safe fish selection. We already have a QT setup (though I'd imagine if we had all heck break loose in our tank we'd be scrambling to find something larger than a 15 for our fish).

Some things that we originally wanted were an eel and a lion fish but they got struck down quickly in our first fish list.

So if a new 30g setup just fell into your lap what would you do with it?

Maybe a species tank. Maybe one really nice anemone with a maroon clown or a pair of other clowns. What about a seahorse tank?

Seahorses would be first on my list. I love them. We were at the aquarium in New Orleans and I was pining to have a few (especially the leafy dragons. Man would I love to have a couple of those)! What are the space requirements for them? I thought that they needed a tall tank? What else could be kept with them (I know no other fish, but what about corals)?

Our lfs has a 24g eclipse system set up with seahorses. They have maybe 3 or 4 at a time and they don't move much. They are beautiful. I don't know about compatibility with corals and such.

I think a sea horse tank would be a very good idea.

second would be the Lion, eel combo. that would be an amazing display for visitors to your house.

get your hobby to pay for itself

Now THERE's a great idea! I'd love to make enough to cover ongoing expenses and new aquisitions!

Seahorses may be beautiful but they are incredibly hard to keep. Do your research, if the requirements for care sound plausible then by all means give em a shot. They need a very very very well established tank.

or just send the tank to me to solve you problem. Just kidding!!!! well maybe not. Anyways. I woulg use some of the rock, water and sand from your other tank and go with a frag tank like was listed before. I have a 10 that I'm gonna try and set up like that. Or use it as a sump. See Look what you guys have done to me. MTS has set in and I've only been at this for a year. :evil:
I need a wife that understands my needs!!!

Back
Top Bottom