New 36 bow front need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Surfergurl92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I want to get a 36 gallon to put my maroon clown in cause I have him in a 10 gallon and it's too small.. My last tank set up my bf and I rushed through it for set up and I had new tank syndrome and I don't want to do that with my new one.. I just want to know what filter I should get I want cheap but not too cheap and everything else anyone recommends like protein skimmer brands or sizes and I know I want metal halide lighting but not sure what kind of wattage for a 36 gallon please help me in the right direction!!

i would skip the protein skimmer for a 36 gallon tank. what do you intend to keep in this tank? why would you want metal halide lighting? 40 pounds of rock and a pair of power heads is a pretty good filter in itself.

Well I wanted to get coral and possibly a anemone for my maroon we had one before but it got sucked up my filter and I was saying the metal halide because I thought that's what you needed to keep coral alive and an anemone.. I heard this from my pet care manager I don't know of it's true cause she tends to pull [moderator edit] out of no where so that's why I was asking on here and really you don't need a filter just powerheads and LR??

Last edited by a moderator:
Surfergurl92 said:
Well I wanted to get coral and possibly a anemone for my maroon we had one before but it got sucked up my filter and I was saying the metal halide because I thought that's what you needed to keep coral alive and an anemone.. I heard this from my pet care manager I don't know of it's true cause she tends to pull [moderator edit] out of no where so that's why I was asking on here and really you don't need a filter just powerheads and LR??

I would run a hob. for anemone I would wait close you a year your parameters need to be steady and your tank established...

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, live rock is a filter in that it it has an extremely porous surface area to house a bacteria colony, and aerobic and ananaerobic zones to convert nitrate.
you could keep a closed system with just that and a decent export component like weekly partial water changes.

I have a 36 bowfront with a maroon for almost 4 years now, I was running the power compacts but found the aquarium was too deep, When I moved I took the opportunity and drilled it and installed a gl*******s overflow, and hung a 250 watt mh, sadly I lost the anemone a couple of weeks ago, while battling a bad dino problem. After 3 days with lights out it never came back but the dinos did... My derasa clam seems to be growing well and is now hosting the maroon. As for a skimmer I would recommend a deltec mc500.

dinoflagellates won't kill an anemone. i've had an anemone in a tank with dinos for over a year now. turning the lights out is not a solution for much of anything, as you've learned.

tdwright1971 said:
I have a 36 bowfront with a maroon for almost 4 years now, I was running the power compacts but found the aquarium was too deep, When I moved I took the opportunity and drilled it and installed a gl*******s overflow, and hung a 250 watt mh, sadly I lost the anemone a couple of weeks ago, while battling a bad dino problem. After 3 days with lights out it never came back but the dinos did... My derasa clam seems to be growing well and is now hosting the maroon. As for a skimmer I would recommend a deltec mc500.

Your clam is hosting your clownfish? That I have never heard of before.You aren't worried about the clam?

The clam doesnt seem to mind and even stays open a little for the clownfish to sleep. I was actually worried for the clownfish. The clam is the size of a small football.

tdwright1971 said:
The clam doesnt seem to mind and even stays open a little for the clownfish to sleep. I was actually worried for the clownfish. The clam is the size of a small football.

Come on now,you gotta take and show us some pictures.

img_1494351_0_c90d18f00c861ec78ceab0b2f72048e2.jpg
tdwright1971

dinoflagellates won't kill an anemone. i've had an anemone in a tank with dinos for over a year now. turning the lights out is not a solution for much of anything, as you've learned.

I wish i knew what killed everything, The anemone was fine till that or maybe it was the brs gfo? also lost all my xenia. My gsp and zoas closed up for over a month, just now coming back... anyway I dont want to hijack this thread.

hob is a hang on back, the only problem is when your water level in your aquarium fluctuates then is changes how the skimmer skims.As for lighting I always wanted to try some led lighting out, a 36 is kinda deep so florescent don't seem to do so well, of course you could do metal halide but then you have a problem with the heat...

as far as a canister filter, I ran a Marineland hot canister filter but it required weekly cleaning which was a pita. Even the cheap hang on filter that came with it would clog up within a week with pods and life. I took out the media for a while but eventually just removed it and just ran the protien skimmer with some Koralia ones for flow.

So I have actually decided on a 46 bow front.. So you think just a protein skimmer I'm still learning and I just don't want to crash and burn you know??

Back
Top Bottom