Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New 36 bow front need help!

So I want to get a 36 gallon to put my maroon clown in cause I have him in a 10 gallon and it's too small.. My last tank set up my bf and I rushed through it for set up and I had new tank syndrome and I don't want to do that with my new one.. I just want to know what filter I should get I want cheap but not too cheap and everything else anyone recommends like protein skimmer brands or sizes and I know I want metal halide lighting but not sure what kind of wattage for a 36 gallon please help me in the right direction!!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #2

I was thinking a canister filter any thoughts??

Old 08-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would skip the protein skimmer for a 36 gallon tank. what do you intend to keep in this tank? why would you want metal halide lighting? 40 pounds of rock and a pair of power heads is a pretty good filter in itself.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

Well I wanted to get coral and possibly a anemone for my maroon we had one before but it got sucked up my filter and I was saying the metal halide because I thought that's what you needed to keep coral alive and an anemone.. I heard this from my pet care manager I don't know of it's true cause she tends to pull [moderator edit] out of no where so that's why I was asking on here and really you don't need a filter just powerheads and LR??
Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergurl92
Well I wanted to get coral and possibly a anemone for my maroon we had one before but it got sucked up my filter and I was saying the metal halide because I thought that's what you needed to keep coral alive and an anemone.. I heard this from my pet care manager I don't know of it's true cause she tends to pull [moderator edit] out of no where so that's why I was asking on here and really you don't need a filter just powerheads and LR??
I would run a hob. for anemone I would wait close you a year your parameters need to be steady and your tank established...
Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, live rock is a filter in that it it has an extremely porous surface area to house a bacteria colony, and aerobic and ananaerobic zones to convert nitrate.
you could keep a closed system with just that and a decent export component like weekly partial water changes.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

I have a 36 bowfront with a maroon for almost 4 years now, I was running the power compacts but found the aquarium was too deep, When I moved I took the opportunity and drilled it and installed a gl*******s overflow, and hung a 250 watt mh, sadly I lost the anemone a couple of weeks ago, while battling a bad dino problem. After 3 days with lights out it never came back but the dinos did... My derasa clam seems to be growing well and is now hosting the maroon. As for a skimmer I would recommend a deltec mc500.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

dinoflagellates won't kill an anemone. i've had an anemone in a tank with dinos for over a year now. turning the lights out is not a solution for much of anything, as you've learned.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwright1971
I have a 36 bowfront with a maroon for almost 4 years now, I was running the power compacts but found the aquarium was too deep, When I moved I took the opportunity and drilled it and installed a gl*******s overflow, and hung a 250 watt mh, sadly I lost the anemone a couple of weeks ago, while battling a bad dino problem. After 3 days with lights out it never came back but the dinos did... My derasa clam seems to be growing well and is now hosting the maroon. As for a skimmer I would recommend a deltec mc500.
Your clam is hosting your clownfish? That I have never heard of before.You aren't worried about the clam?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

The clam doesnt seem to mind and even stays open a little for the clownfish to sleep. I was actually worried for the clownfish. The clam is the size of a small football.

Tags
bow front

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com