New 36gal tank, need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roly99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36 gal tank, about 40lbs of live rock, about 3" of sand, and an emperor 280 hob filter.

I have had it running about 5 weeks with 3 damsels in there about 4 weeks, and the live rock in there a couple of days. My tests all seem to be good.

I am a complete newbee at this and would like to know if i should invest in a canister filter (instead of hob) and a skimmer. Also I would like to eventually get some corals in there, so i will probably need a couple ph.

Any recommendations for a canister filter, ph, and skimmer? Like I said I'm a newbee, i dont know how big of a powerhead i need or how many i should get. As for the protein skimmer, I am currently eyeing the SeaClone, as thats the one they commonly use at my lfs.

Also, is there any way to get rid of those tiny bubbles floating arround tank? Are they a result of my hob filter?

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Keep an eye on your ammonia readings. Sometimes, adding LR to your already "established" system will cause a spike due to die off. Always best to QT the rock for a few days, especially if it was shipped to you.

IMO, the canister isn't needed. A skimmer and HOB would be fine for you. If you are wishing to keep corals, I would advise the skimmer, althought there are people (like me currently, new one on the way) who run no skimmer, and have corals fine.

As for the PH, its best to you about 10 to 15 x turnover in your tank. 36 gallons x 10 would be atleast 360 gph. Shoot for a total number(including skimmer, HOB, PH, etc) of higher than this.

I have the sea clone on order as well. Its not the best to buy, but I have heard nothing but good about it so far.

Best of luck. :)

Thanks Devilishturtles. Looks like i'm gonna pick up a couple 200's at the LFS today. I've also been reading on where and how to place them, some say they should face towards glass, some say facing each other.

Does it depend the way the rocks are set up?

Also, are there any ways that I should avoid facing them? I've heard they should'nt face directly towards lv, but are there any other ways I should not face them.

Could I possibly face them in the same direction causing a sort of cyclone?

Oh, also how far appart should they be?

Thanks again everybody.

Yes you can face them towards eacother and I'm not sure what you mean by how far apart they should be if you put them on opposite ends of eachother? Also, what kind of lighting do you have or plan on getting?

Sorry I wasn't specific enough.

But yes that is what i meant, should i put one one the left pane of glass, and one on the right, or should i put them on the back, with the heads facing each other?

As for the light, i plan on getting a glass cover with an orbit, or coralife 130w cf. since i have 30" lamp it's kinda difficult finding a metal halide cf combination that's 30". Do you think that is sufficient?

Also, off topic, I have coraline algae growing on my rock. One of the people at my LFS told me that that was good, and one from another LFS said it was bad and to keep the lights off. The one who told me that it was desired sells lots of corals and has algae up the wazoo, while the other doesn't have LR or corals at all. Who should I trust?

Once again thanks for the help. Wish i could buy you guys a beer...

Lol. Maybe just a soda? ;)

You can arrange powerheads anyway you desire, but I would have it flowing as many different directions as possible. Dead spots are inevitable, but waterflow in a tank (especially with corals) is important. I would put on on the front left, one on back right, and see if it works. That is how I have my 29 setup.

Where have you looked for lights? A 30" light is a common size...you should be able to find a fixture. 130 watts for you would be 3.6 wpg, enough to house low and maybe medium light corals.

Finally, about the coraline. It's good!!! It means you have a healthy tank as well. Some people strive, and toil, and go to great lengths to get coraline growth...and you got your effortlessly. That's a good thing. I guess it could be a preference thing, but I think its awesome.

Best of luck. :)

Cool. Thanks for the help devilishturtles. I ordered 2 hagen 50's with optional filter and I think the setup you recommended will work nicely with my bowfront.

I think the coraline looks good too, especially at my dealers shop. They have the back glass full with coraline, polyps and other living creatures, and it looks GREAT.

As for the light, i've looked everywhere for a 30" with more wattage output than 130, but thats all i could find. I mean they have higher output 24" lamps but not for my 30" maybe if i get a 24" and a smaller compact for the sides.

Does anybody know somewhere that i could find a 30" high output lamp?

Thanks again guy's you've been a great help.

Back
Top Bottom