New 40 Gallon Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djalex23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey ladies and gents. I am new to the world of saltwater fish. Your forums have given me great information to help me get started. Here is my current setup. The tank has been cycling for only 2 days. Let me know what you think and if I need to do anything else. Thanks.

40 gallon breeder (I think 36X
aquaclear HOB 110
solar maxHE t5 lighting (21wattsx 2 and 6 led moonlight)
200watt eheium jager heater
40 lbs caribsea arag-alive reef sand
20lbs live rock
20 lbs base rock.

Thinking about adding more live in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• 2011-09-18 10 32 07(1).jpg
    2011-09-18 10 32 07(1).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 121
Hi. Welcome to the forum!

Your tank looks like it's coming along nicely. :)

If you want to add live rock now is the time while you are cycling. Adding live rock after it's cycled will involved you putting the new live rock in a separate container and curing it.

Do you have a wish list of fish yet?

Thanks. BTW I used RO water already mixed with salt from my LFS. Hope that was okay. no fish wish yet any help in that dept would be appreciated. I will more than likely get some live rock Friday as my LFS has it on sale for 3.99 a lb.

thank you I will check them out. Is there anything I should be looking for during the cycling process. Also how will I know when I am ready for fish. I took a water sample to LFS Sat just to see and he said that a little ammonia was starting to show. Also is a powerhead necessary at this point? and would a test kit for petsmart be sufficient.

Juts get an API saltwater master kit and youll be fine. Stay away from the strip testers, very inaccurate. To cycle your tank you'll need to test like everyday. :)

Back
Top Bottom