New 40g reef (and a few fish) tank!! But cracked glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
My new LFS owner buddy is telling me thanks for helping him expand his store recently. Upgraded from about 15 tanks to about 40 now. I know, small store, but he makes a killing on regular and special installations and maintenance contracts.

He's got a 40g breeder tank w/an overflow hole drilled in it. The side has 2 cracks all the way down the tank. He told me that the epoxy, glue, or whatever one normally applies to cracks will hold the tank just fine.

Anyway, he's giving me the tank, HOB skimmer (not sure what kind yet), MH lighting, sand and rock pcs to get started. He wants me to raise xenia (and maybe other corals) frags to sell at his shop. I get $8 a piece, he sells'm for $25.

I'll do another post when I'm about to set up and include lighting and skimmer specifics when they get it all.

In the meantime, should I be concerned about that repaired, cracked glass?

Around my area a 40g breeder is about $75. A very good investment unless you want to push your luck with a cracked one.

Yeah. We talked and agreed he'd buy me a new tank. No glass crack or overflow hole to plug. The wife says that I am not to puch my luck w/40gallons of water. This is gonna be fun.

And I get to start another tank. :multi: Free! My wife is OK with that part. :kiss:

Soon, I'm gonna have MTS!!! So exciting. I've read a few articles on coral propogation - particularly Xenia. LoganJ has a nice one at this site also.

Xenia farming seems pretty interesting and helpful to supplement our hobby costs - and do a small part to protect reef harvesting in order to meet the demand. Seems that LFS ownbers are more than happy to buy that stuff home grown stuff from you. Seems that the wild stuff is harder to grow too.

Plenty of light, higher gravity (1.024), PH @ 8.3/4, and Iodine would be key.

Since my sponsor is asking for records on success habits, just maybe I can get the time or energy to document an article for this site.

Aybody know of any Thin Bar xenia to be had? Then there's Fiji (Pom pom), and Bali. I hear the thin bar grows fast.

Take it from a mechanical engineer very familiar with structural behaviors. DON"T USE THE TANK.

There's no epoxy in the world that will hold a structural failure together when all that water is pushing on it. One little tap and there she goes!

Back
Top Bottom