Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

new 46g reef tank being started

need a little advice from my aquariumadvice professionals. I am going to start a reef tank in my 46g bow. I have never had a reef tank before only fowlr. I just recieved about 45 pounds of live fiji from DR Fosters & Smith yesterday which I am curing in my tank now. plus I already had about 10 pounds live rock from a seperate tank. all that I have for the tank now is a heater and 2 whisper power filters 30-60 that I had left over from my first freshwater tank that I am using while cycling the tank. I bought a 36" lunar aqualight a while back so I have adequate lighting. I still need to break my rocks into chunks to do some aquascaping I was sent 4 large pieces of live fiji about 10 pounds each. I want to order the skimmer filtration and maybe a wave maker. I also still need to add a substrate. I need to know a good place to order sugar fine white sand.(no silicates) I am debating now between ordering a fluval canister filter and a backpack skimmer. Or maybe just going with the cheaper refugium that includes the skimmer. And I know nothing about powerheads and wave makers. I did see a really cool bubble disk I thought about I like bubbles. Any advice would be awesome

Old 09-29-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Sounds like you are well on your way.
Quote:
I just recieved about 45 pounds of live fiji from DR Fosters & Smith yesterday which I am curing in my tank now. plus I already had about 10 pounds live rock from a seperate tank.
Great, that is a good amount to start with. Cycling the tank with the uncured LR is a good plan.
Quote:
I bought a 36" lunar aqualight a while back so I have adequate lighting.
Should be good enough for most softies, polyps and LPS corals. It will allow you to keep a fairly wide variety.
Quote:
I want to order the skimmer filtration and maybe a wave maker.
A skimmer is always a GREAT idea. The wave maker is nice as well.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
There is nothing technically wrong with a bubble disk. However, will make some salt creep issues as you go along. But if you like the bubbles, go for it!

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
If you want to keep those 2 whisper 30-60 powerfilters, you can modify them into refuges by pulling out all of the media and then filling them with lr rubble. I did this to my ten gallon with two whisper 10-20 powerfilters. You could also go further with it and add a little light over each of them to grow some macros, it would be perfect to tumble some chaeto.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M.
If you want to keep those 2 whisper 30-60 powerfilters, you can modify them into refuges by pulling out all of the media and then filling them with lr rubble. I did this to my ten gallon with two whisper 10-20 powerfilters. You could also go further with it and add a little light over each of them to grow some macros, it would be perfect to tumble some chaeto.
Ok I don't know what chaeto is could you explain, and if I kept my power filters with live rock rubble only and added a protein skimmer would that cover all of my bases??? Is the live rock alone enough of a filter for my tank?? If I buy a skimmer and a wave maker would that make a great reef tank. Or should i improve upon that. I want to make sure I succeed at this its too expensive of a hobby to make a mistake>????
Old 09-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

lr, proper flow, and a skimmer is all you need for filtration. There may be times when you need to run chemical filtration but it is generally not needed unless there is a problem. Some people here (including me) have a empty cannister filter on the tank for flow and have it so if needed you can put media in it and use it for chemical filtration.

Chaeto is a macroalgae and is good for nutrient export (nitrates, phosphates, etc.). Caulerpa is better but needs lighting 24/7 and regular pruning to prevent it from going sexual and causing lots of problems. A refugium is a place for pods to grow in solitude and if lighted it is also used to grow macroalgae for nutrient export.

A wave maker is not necessary but from what I've seen it is mainly personal preference. Though you do want one or two powerheads for movement and you could position them on opposite sides facing eachother or facing the front wall of the tank to create turbulence.

IME , no matter how much you research, the first tank you set up is always trial and error and the experience will help you setup a much better 2nd or 3rd or 4th.... tank lol
Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am curios. with the 10k light I have in my lunar aqualight will it be enough to make my fiji live rock turn purple and look like most professional tanks. As far as I know I only need to add calcium iodine strontium. For a 46g should I add like 1 teaspoon of each after my weekly water change? (I usually change 15gallons of my 46gallons weekly) What about adding trace mineral supplements?? I am still a little iffy on the water chemistry for a reef tank verses a fowlr tank. And then I was going to order a beginner coral pack from dr fosters & smith. Do I attach the corals with an adhesive to my fiji rocks. If I wait a month before ordering the corals will that be enough time for my tank to establish?? Or should I add like 1 fish first before I add corals??

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Typically, regular PWCs will replenish any depleted trace elements (it in the salt mix). I would not dose any of my tank unless I had the proper test kits....and I don't dose my tanks....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: new 46g reef tank being started

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi
need a little advice from my aquariumadvice professionals...Any advice would be awesome
Read as much as you can on this and other sites. There's a lot to learn regarding reef setups. Here's a starting place:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...php?fldAuto=2/
Old 10-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would wait at least two months after your tank is completely cycled before adding corals, maybe longer.

Like roka64 said, you dont want to add anything you can't test for and pretty much all your elements/minerals will be replaced by doing your pwc. You should get ca and alk test kits.

What fish do you want? And what corals?

Tags
46 gallon, reef, reef tank, started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com