new 50 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcoatney

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I am now going to start a 50 gallon reef tank, ordered from petsmart. A few questions. Can anyone give me suggestions(brand, type) for a filter, lighting,protein skimmer, etc... Do I need a protein skimmer and a filter? I plan on setting it up and then doing a fishless cycle, so should I go ahead and add live rock or is that a bad idea? Sorry I'm kind of new. Thanks in advance.

First you need a good book. I pretty much always recommend Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist". And I'd also recommend not buying anything else until you spend some time in that book. Not even rock yet.

What kinda corals you want? Will make a big dif on the lighting you choose. Got a fish wish list yet? Look for reef safe critters only.

Now, you may be able to begin your fishless cycle (good choice, BTW) while you do your research and start buying equipment. The cycle will take 3 - 4 weeks maybe.

I absolutely agree. In this hobby, the key to success is research and patience. A good book, online article or whatever peice of litterature you may find, might make the difference between setting up a beautiful reef aquarium and watching a tank slowly die.

I wouldnt worry much right now about what kind of fish, corals or whatever else you want at the moment. Tank maintanance is the biggest thing you should worry about at the moment, see what's truely involved with marine aquariums. The equipment used and its general purpose. Once you have a good understanding of the key elements used for keeping a successful aquarium, you're cycle should be near completion, at which time, start drooling over the things you want in your tank and you'll have a great concept of how to care for them by then. You'll also know what lighting is needed, waterflow, tank sizes ect. ect.

Happy reading and please let us know of your progress and of any questions that may come along the way.

I don't see any point in starting out your cycle until you have a strong game plan, and that requires some idea of what you kind of tank you want.

Let me explain further. If you are wanting a reef tank, then LR is a must. If you start your fishless cycle now, then when your LR order comes in, it will require your to either cure it separately, (which is an added cost and hassle), or will just endup recycling your tank again.

I agree with the others who said read as much as possible. It will however clarify some questions you have but will also bring up new concerns that you hadn't even thought of. This process, however, will give you all the info needed to start a succesful tank and take your first steps in the right direction.

I also think it's wise to start making your livestock wish list now, that way you can start researching the animals as well and avoid the pitfalls of buying things on a whim and finding out after that they just are't meant for your tank.

Back
Top Bottom