New 55 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Istrom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm new to saltwater and I just got a 55 Gallon, I put Alpha and reef salt in. I'm using Bio-Active Arganite sand. What are some kinds of inverts/fish that I could put in relatively soon? And how long until I can? (I just set this tank up about 8 hours ago)

:thanks:

I suggest you read up on the nitrogen cycle and cycling an aquarium, there are articles on both here on this forum. As for fish selection, check liveaquaria and search by minimum tank size.

I have 4 freshwater aquariums, and I know about the cycling and whatnot. I just need a kick starter or something. I have looked through liveaquaria's inventory a few times but I just need someone's personally learned opinion.

deli shrimp will kick start your cycle a lot of us here are not big fans of a fish in cycle
as it is hard on the fish and will shorten it's life expectancy
your also going to need either base rock or live rock aprox 1lb per gal
cycling with just sand than adding rock will start you cycle over again
if you click the search button on top of the page and type in what your looking for
you can find other useful information like the article below.
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
researching at the early stages will help you prevent future problems before you have any
we encourage you to ask questions and to take advantage of the search engine it has many knowledgeable articles to help you understand your journey into saltwater
welcome to the forum

Do you have a protein skimmer? Sump? Live rock? You'll need an ammonia source to cycle. Aka a raw shrimp. For fish/inverts so you want a reef?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 4 freshwater aquariums, and I know about the cycling and whatnot. I just need a kick starter or something. I have looked through liveaquaria's inventory a few times but I just need someone's personally learned opinion.

If you know about cycling then you know there is no way to guess how long it will take. Nothing good happens fast in sw. As for fish why don't you tell us what you like and then maybe you'll get some first hand experience with that fish.

deli shrimp will kick start your cycle a lot of us here are not big fans of a fish in cycle
as it is hard on the fish and will shorten it's life expectancy
your also going to need either base rock or live rock aprox 1lb per gal
cycling with just sand than adding rock will start you cycle over again
if you click the search button on top of the page and type in what your looking for
you can find other useful information like the article below.
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
researching at the early stages will help you prevent future problems before you have any
we encourage you to ask questions and to take advantage of the search engine it has many knowledgeable articles to help you understand your journey into saltwater
welcome to the forum

Would some frozen Brine Shrimp do any good?

Fish food is just going to add phosphates to your system which will fuel a big algae bloom with the high nitrates from the cycle. You know you need ro/di water for a reef too right?

Fish food is just going to add phosphates to your system which will fuel a big algae bloom with the high nitrates from the cycle. You know you need ro/di water for a reef too right?

Yup. My LFS has a RODI-presalted and all that machine in their store. They sell it at 1$ a gallon. I'll pick up a deli shrimp or two today to put in there. Whats the best thing to put them in so I don't have to try to get just a decaying shrimp out of the tank?

That or a filter media bag if you have one laying around

I've got one in a tank with some young guppies, I didn't want them getting sucked into the filter. I might be able to take that out for a while though. They're almost big enough to escape the take-in.

How have you set up the tank? What kind of filtration are you running? I agree with the above posts - do plenty if research before buying any livestock. Did you use any live rock?

Okay. I put shrimp wrapped in pantyhose in the tank. How long should I leave 2 of them in there?

I am not sure wet/dry work for saltwater - perhaps someone else can confirm that? Something about not being submerged in water the BB can't survive?

Back
Top Bottom