New 55 gallon first SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvbugg654

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. My tank is a 55 gallon tank with 15 gallon sump. I have dry rock/ruble in the first chamber. Flows out thru a blue filter and to the protein skimmer and returns via PVC pipes back behind the tank. Tanks was drilled and plumbed this way when I got it. My live rock and sand have been in the tank for 11 days. I have 50lbs of dry rock and 8 lbs of premium live rock from my lfs. Oh and 60 lbs of live sand. I'm in the middle of my cycle and have had Ph issues since day one. Always from 7.8 to 8. Always no matter the day time whatever. I buy all my water from my lfs and mix with instant ocean. Have also had to add a fan under my tank in the sump but still get wicked temp fluctuations. I have a digital and old school magnetic thermometer but they never correlate. My digital always reads around 3 degrees sometimes more cooler than the magnetic one. I've had the digital one read 75 and the magnetic one never has read lower than 78. Any advice for Ph or maintaining temperature? I live in Florida and I do not have a heater cuz it seems cooling is the main issue not heating

Also I am cycling only with my live rock and have had my ammonia readings around 4 ppm. I don't need to add any shrimp or liquid ammonia or pee in the tank (lol) since my cycle has started? I read how people have to continue to dose with ammonia I don't need to do that correct? My readings are as follows for today:

Temp: 78.4/81
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 5
Nitrate: 80

Technically you don't have to add ammonia to 4 ppm until your cycle is over but your tank won't have as much beneficial bacteria colony as a tank that was dosed ammonia to 4 ppm until the cycle ended. I would dose ammo daily until you can turn that to nitrates in less than 24 hours.this will give you a huge advantage later on down the road.

Ok the cyclone with live rock confuses me sometimes! Any advice is appreciated

Back
Top Bottom