Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haha! Guess I'll stick to this then!

Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the advice. I will QT it in a bin. It has to sit in the bin for a month? Do I add anything to the bin as far as any medicine or just let it sit in there for awhile. I'm not really too sure how the QT works. I have a 90 gallon tank with a sailfin and 3 damsels. None of them were put in a QT and I've had them for awhile now. I've just been lucky with them.

This 55 gallon is my new Fish only tank. All I have in it is live Rock and snails. Would I have to QT the first fish I put in there Or can I add the 3 chromis without the need to QT them since they can't infect any other fish?

Sorry for all the questions.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42082 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I will QT it in a bin. It has to sit in the bin for a month? Do I add anything to the bin as far as any medicine or just let it sit in there for awhile. I'm not really too sure how the QT works. I have a 90 gallon tank with a sailfin and 3 damsels. None of them were put in a QT and I've had them for awhile now. I've just been lucky with them.

This 55 gallon is my new Fish only tank. All I have in it is live Rock and snails. Would I have to QT the first fish I put in there Or can I add the 3 chromis without the need to QT them since they can't infect any other fish?

Sorry for all the questions.
Don't apologize! Rather to ask and be safe than to not ask and be sorry

When you add the first fish, I'd say QT them as well. You don't want to infect your tank with any disease they might carry. And if they do end up having a disease, you'll be free to use copper-based medications on them if you QT, since inverts like snails can't tolerate copper. You might be able to get away with shortening the QT process. Since there are no fish to infect, it's less of a risk. That's just my opinion though I may be wrong.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Well that better the $90 my crappy LFS charges for an ich infected flame angel lol.
That sucks they are $35 at my LFS for nice size ones. No ich, lol
Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. D

That sucks they are $35 at my LFS for nice size ones. No ich, lol
Yeah i LOL when i seen the price tag. Fish stores are not very educated around here.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Yeah i LOL when i seen the price tag. Fish stores are not very educated around here.
Yeah, talk about a price hike. They are not even a rare-ish fish.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I QT my newbies I assume that they are either carriers of parasites or have some that haven't shown up yet. You have to realize that at a lot of fish stores, their tanks all run off the same system so let's say they have some clowns bred in captivity that were parasite free when they got there but also have fish caught in the wild. Parasites have stages that they can swim freely so that being the case, and the water being dispersed from the same system, they are in my mind contaminated. I treat them with meds. So far, haven't lost any to disease or parasites. Only to aggression and that's when my female clown went loco on the male.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I'm just waiting for my Miracle Mud and I might invest in an auto top off. Once I get that going I'll be ready for some fish. Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser View Post
When I QT my newbies I assume that they are either carriers of parasites or have some that haven't shown up yet. You have to realize that at a lot of fish stores, their tanks all run off the same system so let's say they have some clowns bred in captivity that were parasite free when they got there but also have fish caught in the wild. Parasites have stages that they can swim freely so that being the case, and the water being dispersed from the same system, they are in my mind contaminated. I treat them with meds. So far, haven't lost any to disease or parasites. Only to aggression and that's when my female clown went loco on the male.
Very good advise here. +1
Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42082
Well, I'm just waiting for my Miracle Mud and I might invest in an auto top off. Once I get that going I'll be ready for some fish. Thanks again.
Ummmm.....why Miracle Mud for a FOWLR?

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, fish only

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com