New 55 gallon Fish Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the advice. I will QT it in a bin. It has to sit in the bin for a month? Do I add anything to the bin as far as any medicine or just let it sit in there for awhile. I'm not really too sure how the QT works. I have a 90 gallon tank with a sailfin and 3 damsels. None of them were put in a QT and I've had them for awhile now. I've just been lucky with them.

This 55 gallon is my new Fish only tank. All I have in it is live Rock and snails. Would I have to QT the first fish I put in there Or can I add the 3 chromis without the need to QT them since they can't infect any other fish?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for the advice. I will QT it in a bin. It has to sit in the bin for a month? Do I add anything to the bin as far as any medicine or just let it sit in there for awhile. I'm not really too sure how the QT works. I have a 90 gallon tank with a sailfin and 3 damsels. None of them were put in a QT and I've had them for awhile now. I've just been lucky with them.

This 55 gallon is my new Fish only tank. All I have in it is live Rock and snails. Would I have to QT the first fish I put in there Or can I add the 3 chromis without the need to QT them since they can't infect any other fish?

Sorry for all the questions.

Don't apologize! Rather to ask and be safe than to not ask and be sorry :)

When you add the first fish, I'd say QT them as well. You don't want to infect your tank with any disease they might carry. And if they do end up having a disease, you'll be free to use copper-based medications on them if you QT, since inverts like snails can't tolerate copper. You might be able to get away with shortening the QT process. Since there are no fish to infect, it's less of a risk. That's just my opinion though I may be wrong.

Schism said:
Well that better the $90 my crappy LFS charges for an ich infected flame angel lol.

That sucks they are $35 at my LFS for nice size ones. No ich, lol

Mr. D said:
That sucks they are $35 at my LFS for nice size ones. No ich, lol

Yeah i LOL when i seen the price tag. Fish stores are not very educated around here.

Schism said:
Yeah i LOL when i seen the price tag. Fish stores are not very educated around here.

Yeah, talk about a price hike. They are not even a rare-ish fish.

When I QT my newbies I assume that they are either carriers of parasites or have some that haven't shown up yet. You have to realize that at a lot of fish stores, their tanks all run off the same system so let's say they have some clowns bred in captivity that were parasite free when they got there but also have fish caught in the wild. Parasites have stages that they can swim freely so that being the case, and the water being dispersed from the same system, they are in my mind contaminated. I treat them with meds. So far, haven't lost any to disease or parasites. Only to aggression and that's when my female clown went loco on the male.

Well, I'm just waiting for my Miracle Mud and I might invest in an auto top off. Once I get that going I'll be ready for some fish. Thanks again.

When I QT my newbies I assume that they are either carriers of parasites or have some that haven't shown up yet. You have to realize that at a lot of fish stores, their tanks all run off the same system so let's say they have some clowns bred in captivity that were parasite free when they got there but also have fish caught in the wild. Parasites have stages that they can swim freely so that being the case, and the water being dispersed from the same system, they are in my mind contaminated. I treat them with meds. So far, haven't lost any to disease or parasites. Only to aggression and that's when my female clown went loco on the male.

Very good advise here. +1

Rich42082 said:
Well, I'm just waiting for my Miracle Mud and I might invest in an auto top off. Once I get that going I'll be ready for some fish. Thanks again.

Ummmm.....why Miracle Mud for a FOWLR?

I'm not running a protein skimmer for now. Maybe later on I'll buy one. Miracle mud helps with less water changes. I havent done a water change in 3 weeks now in my 90 gallon reef. All checks have been good so far.

I'm not running a protein skimmer for now. Maybe later on I'll buy one. Miracle mud helps with less water changes. I havent done a water change in 3 weeks now in my 90 gallon reef. All checks have been good so far.

Miracle Mud is not a replacement for water changes im afraid. Miracle Mud my help process nitrates, but only to an extent, also miracle mud does not process phosphates. Water changes do more than lower nitrates, even in a FOWLR. Just trying to help ya avoid trouble.

Also Miracle Mud time releases Trace elements and minerals on a constant basis. Since this is a FOWLR nothing is using these elements and minerals to any large extent, which could mean these elements will become excessive. Some of these elements will feed algae growth etc. Just something else to look out for.

Ok then all I need is an auto top off and a decent protein skimmer so I can start adding some fish. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom