New 55 gallon Fish Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich42082

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Starting up a FOWLR and I need some help stocking it. I am planing to add
1 yellow tang
5 green chromis
1 flame angel
3 pajama cardinals
1 yellow watchman

Is this too much for a 55 gallon? Or can I add more and if so what do you recommend I add to this list.

if you take out the yellow tang and reduce the number of green chromises, you should be fine. Do you plan on adding invertebrates?

So 3 green chromis? I plan on having a CUC. Would I be able to switch the yellow tang to a blue hippo?

No. Hippo tangs need 180 gallons or more. I think you're good. If you add everyone and can keep nitrates under control for a few months, go ahead and add another fish. If you dont plan on keeping inverts, you might be able to have another small fish.

Ok I'll drop the tang and I'll try not to over stock the tank. Thanks.

I love the flame angel but I have to tell you ( and this is from personal experience as well) that they tend to be aggressive fish. If you want one really badly then make sure you add him last and let your other fish get use to the tank. In addition, they tend to bully smaller fish so that is something else to consider. I'm sure you've read this a 100 times on this forum alone but make sure you QT it! They are pretty pricy (at least here anyway).

Good advise thank you. I was planing on adding all the fish at the same time. I thought if I acclimate them all in the same bucket at the same time I wouldn't have a problem. Where I live all I have is Petco so most of my corals and fish are bought online. I don't have a QT so I am going to have to risk it.

Dont buy them all at the same time!!! It will cause a huge spike and your tank will go into a mini cycle if its bad enough!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Dont buy them all at the same time!!! It will cause a huge spike and your tank will go into a mini cycle if its bad enough!

Yes do not add at same time doing so could likely result in ammonia spike and losses.

I think the stock list is ok however i would not get the tang and instead get a foxface.

If you don't want to buy another tank to use as a QT, a good alternative could be to use a Rubbermaid bin (used this as a hospital tank in college). Get a cheap little filter at Walmart. I treat the stuff I put in my tank as if I know it has a parasite. It's not often that they don't and sometimes they can be carriers. Add up how much money that you are spending on your total stock. Let's say you ended up with a 10 gallon QT (petsmart $15), an AquaTech 10-20 power filter (walmart $21.97) totaling $36.97...your flame angel alone is probably in the range of $44 + ...angels are pretty fish and pricy. It's just something to consider if you are investing decent money and time. When you are done with the QT you just empty the water and put away in a closet until the next fish.

Everyone already covered it but the most I would addi at one time would be the 3 chromis. Add a fish or two wait a month or so then another fish or two. Gives your beneficial bacteria more than enough time to catch up with the bioload

nikki_kaiser;2062843your flame angel alone is probably in the range of $44 + ...angels are pretty fish and pricy. It's just something to consider if you are investing decent money and time. When you are done with the QT you just empty the water and put away in a closet until the next fish.[/QUOTE said:
I went to petco today, they were asking $65 For a Flame Angel and that was on SALE!

Sadly Im cutting him out of my Stock list. :(

You could order him online...that's where I pulled the $45 from. They are expensive here too

Well that better the $90 my crappy LFS charges for an ich infected flame angel lol.

WOW!!!! Your LFS charges that much?? We have this cool store that will run weekly sales on different shrimp, fish, and corals. They also always have a coupon you can use for the entire purchase which helps since this hobby is so expensive anyway. I'm starting to think golf would of been cheaper! LOL!

nikki_kaiser said:
WOW!!!! Your LFS charges that much?? We have this cool store that will run weekly sales on different shrimp, fish, and corals. They also always have a coupon you can use for the entire purchase which helps since this hobby is so expensive anyway. I'm starting to think golf would of been cheaper! LOL!

Lol nope golf is just as expensive, ive been there already lol.

Back
Top Bottom