Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nu-nu is correct it was a combination of the above...with a bad acclimation you weakened the immune system stressing it out opening up the door to more problems which the 40ppm of nitrates is a major issue in a marine tank...mine are never above 0-5 ppm and should never go above 10

Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok.

We found the Clown dead in the Gramma's "home" this afternoon.

We just checked our parameters. Ammonia 0. pH 8.3. Nitrite 0. Nitrate 40. I'm sorry. But this does not make sense to us because we also have a 30 gallon tank with two clowns and the nitrates have gotten up to 80, if not more, and stayed like that for a couple of days and the fish were fine. We have been trying to bring the nitrates down, but it's coming down slowly. It takes time to bring them down.

As for the acclimation of our fish, that's how we were told to do it by 4 lfs in our area and by people online. We have acclimated many fish like this and these are the first two to die on us. AND we acclimated them over two weeks ago. Why would it just now happen? And why would they both die at the exact, same time? This is why we don't understand what's going on.

26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
sstanle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's all on the fish my buddy with a fish room has a group of "cyclers" that can hang strong in every spike of the cycle while some fish of the same species can only handle slight changes in parameters..it is a kinda strange occurence of events but you have to go with what you know and the only thing wrong with all the information given to us is acclimation and nitrates

Edit* and why do you say nitrates come down slowly because technically they go down as fast as your pump/bucket is flowing
Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well. We are going to take the acclimation out of this equation (if that's ok) because we believe it's been too long to that to be the problem. Yes, our nitrates are high, but we've had higher. When our nitrates were 80 in our 30 gallon tank, it took us a week to bring them down to 40 doing 10 gallon water changes every other day. We were told not to do it all at once because it would cause a huge swing in everything else and would kill our fish faster than what the nitrates would do by themselves.
26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstanle4
Well. We are going to take the acclimation out of this equation (if that's ok) because we believe it's been too long to that to be the problem. Yes, our nitrates are high, but we've had higher. When our nitrates were 80 in our 30 gallon tank, it took us a week to bring them down to 40 doing 10 gallon water changes every other day. We were told not to do it all at once because it would cause a huge swing in everything else and would kill our fish faster than what the nitrates would do by themselves.
I had a similar problem shortly after starting my 28g. Total water volume is 20g with the rock and sand, so I knocked out a 10g (50%) water change to bring my treaters down drastically. I had no ill effects from either the fish or corals. I say do a big water change and then another sometime next week if needed. Once you get them down, start to think about how it is happening. Really can be only a couple of things, but over feeding and too little flow would be at the top of my list. Hope it works out for you!!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Trates, not treaters... Stupid auto spell.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok when I get home this afternoon I will do a big 20 gallon water change and will go get 2 wave makers. Then on Saturday when I get home from work, I will check everything again and I will post what everything is.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok got wave makers and did a 20 gallon water change and got the nitrates down to 20
Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like you're on your way! Monitor your trates, maybe knock out another large water change in a couple days (if you want to bring them down further). Just make sure you stay on top of your weekly water changes and watch the over feeding...
Old 04-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #20

Another thing about acclimation by floating is there maybe a 10, 15, maybe even 20 degree difference.by the time u get home and the bag is brought up to ur tank temp really fast. That is always a problem unless u keep it the same on the trip home which is hard to do. I know u rules out the acclimation but just a thought

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, gallon, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com