New 55g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremyz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We got our new 55g tank today and have it all set up. We've decided to try Bio-Spira and see how that works out. For now we have

30lbs of onyx LS
30lbs of LR

For the stocking list we are thinking of starting small

Clean up crew:
10 Red Leg Hermit Crabs
10 Nassarius Snails
5 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Cleaner Shrimp
5 Sheriff's Badge Starfish
(more than likely will add more in time)

Fish
2 Ocellaris Clown Fish
2 Yellow Watchman
1 Orbiculate Batfish
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish(dwarf)

Any thoughts, opinions or tips would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to AA:)
Def liking the stock list so far! A lot of variety. Only worry I'd have is that your bottom is gonna be slightly crowded, not saying don't do it but that looks like a lot of inverts . Best of luck:) I will be following

Also I have two questions for the pros around here. Reading up on the Sheriff's Badge Starfish I understand to drip acclimate it (which I do prefer) and then to place them in an established tank that already has the bacteria on the rocks and such. Would that mean after the cycling period or to wait a little bit before I purchase them. Question two, I have a 75gph powerhead and a 25 gph protein skimmer (from my 20g). The powerhead moves the water towards the skimmer, will the skimmer be fine until I can purchase a bigger gph one?

If it says to add to an established tank, you are gonna want to wait a few months before adding. And your skimmer should be fine

you can't have a batfish in that tank. they get quite large. the 10 nassarius snails will starve to death unless you put food in the tank for them.
i would also leave the starfish out, because we don't know what it eats. the idea that it eats bacteria is non sense IMO, and if it was true, you would be killing your tank adding it, because it would eat the bacteria that is necessary to sustain the rest of the livestock. if you are dead set on a starfish, i would suggest serpent/brittle stars. these eat uneaten food, and you can hand feed them. just stay away from the green brittle. the red ones are cool, as are the harlequin serpents.
also, i found this info-
http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=3019
which says they eat inverts. it's a predator.

you will need A LOT more water movement than a 75 gph power head. perhaps a pair of 750 gph power heads would be better.
i wouldn't even bother with the protein skimmer.

and lastly, i would use another 20 pounds of live rock.

Last edited:
Oh crap I completely misread the question about the ph for some reason:facepalm: and how big does a batfish normally get?

almost 2 feet. when in doubt, google it.

Yes, I also noticed that when my wife showed me the one she wanted. That has now been moved to the "never going to have list". Thank you on the advice about the skimmer and power head and about the sea star, I didn't find that info before. This is why I love this place :)

Well yesterday was a sad day for my Clown family. Was doing my nightly head count and noticed that Daphene was not with her friend. After searching for about 10 minutes we found her dead behind some rocks. Poor Shaggy looks lost and lonely. I think I need to get him a new friend. Anything wrong with getting 3 more Clowns?

more bad news i wouldnt try 4 clowns in a 55g one pair will try to claim the whole tank even though they may hang in one area Remember there damsels little fish with a huge tude :facepalm:

How many clowns do you have? # more sounds like alot....I had 4 clowns at one time in a 125g tank and had some aggression issues. It's usually recommended to have only one pair per tank, no matter the size of the tank.

How many clowns do you have? # more sounds like alot....I had 4 clowns at one time in a 125g tank and had some aggression issues. It's usually recommended to have only one pair per tank, no matter the size of the tank.

Right now just the one. So we'll take the advice and only get one more. I think we will get one that is slightly bigger if we can find it.

Thank you all for the advice!

more than one established pair is not suggested but many have no issue with one pair and several juveniles in the same tank, a 55 would be fine for 4 clowns as long as you dont have your tank overstocked with other fish, and there is only one pair

Back
Top Bottom