New 55g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So added my substrate. And now adding water. I washed the sand really good before hand but water is still cloudy. Is this normal?

It will settle down.

My tank clouded up too even after rinsing the sand numerous times, its inevitable it seems.

Mine was clear by the next day. I added a HOB filter I had laying around with filter floss ( I believe it was) just to speed things up.

Yea I just got done adding all the water about a hr ago and I think it's looking better. Tomorrow ill hook the sump and power heads up and hopefully add salt if its not cloudy anymore. Hooked up the skimmer and will start it tomorrow.

Now question from my wife. Could we jus get a box of salt for 55g and add it. Or do we need to go scoop by scoop?

I just added mine scoop by scoop and it dissolved by the next day. I can still see trace amounts since Monday. This is my fourth day and first time doing this.

So when setting my skimmer up it said I could put it on the sump. Would that be effective as mounting it on the back of the tank?

I have a hob skimmer on my sump. Seems to work fine. Less equipment to see in you DT

So it appears to be clearing up A little today. I'm going to go ahead and get my sump started today and hopefully my DIY light kit if they have components at the store. Would putting the filter from my 20g help since its already cycled thru?

So where I'm at now.

Water added and I think salinity is good. Got two scales two diffrent readings.

Added a dead shrimp sat

Getting live rock today and maybe 5 damsels.

PH- 8.0
Nitrite- 0
Ammonia- .50
Nitrate- 5.0

Today marks a week that water has been in. I'm not sure I want to do a water change just yet.

Ok thanks.

So got a question. My 55 is right beside my 20. Once I'm cycled I wanna move the 55 over a few feet. I have 4 furniture pads under it but it's still freaking heavy with the 55g of water, 40 pounds of sand and about 20 pounds of live rock. Any tips?

Oh and my water temp was 82 today. Prob from lights I added last night. Thinking I can put a fan under the tank on the sump would that lower it any?

So far I have noticed some green algae on the back of my LR. My wife things we have a clam but it looks like a rock too me. Thought I had some bubble algae but turned out to be a failed attempt at using epoxy.

And today's test result.

Salinity 1.022
Ph-8.0
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

Now I got established live rock, a sump that had been running for atleast a year before, and 5 damsels in there and in middle of 2nd week. Is this where I should be? I keep waiting for a spike in anything and have gotten nothing.

Question I really have is when can I switch over my 4 fish from the 20g since ammonia is kicking my butt in that one. Fish should be dead from what I read but they still going.

Back
Top Bottom