Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisy00 View Post
What size return pump should I use for 60 gallon cube with standard corner overflow. I plan to place a 3 valve manifold; one for calcium reactor, one for phosphate reactor, and one that feeds back to fuge. All running off return pimp.
That's a lot i'd use a mag 12 at a min. but would lean toward the 18 if it were me.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm thinking about doing all dry rock for my aquascape probably 2 or 3 pillars that go close to the surface. Looking to do minimalistic concept lots of open space between the pillars and lots of open sand. I'll be putting live rock in my sump. Is it ok to start with all dry rock/base rock.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisy00 View Post
I'm thinking about doing all dry rock for my aquascape probably 2 or 3 pillars that go close to the surface. Looking to do minimalistic concept lots of open space between the pillars and lots of open sand. I'll be putting live rock in my sump. Is it ok to start with all dry rock/base rock.

It wouldn't be a problem to do all live rock; I have a ton but plan to be working on this aquascape for a while in the basement drilling and epoxy. So I figured with having it out if water so long just start with dry rock. Any opinions?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like to use base rock cuts out unwanted pest Seed with a piece of live rock as it will cut down on the cycle time

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Updates to come this week. Hopefully have everything plumbed this coming weekend.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks good so far. Following along since I can already tell my 35g is going to upgrade into a 60g cube eventually.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Looks good so far. Following along since I can already tell my 35g is going to upgrade into a 60g cube eventually.

60 gallon cubes are great I wanted a 93 rimless but there just a little to big for a cube in my opinion unless you have a nice room to put it in the middle.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wanted a 60 cube, but could not find one reasonably priced on CL, but did find a 24x24x14 for cheap, so I grabbed that. It's not as tall as I would like, but I figure it will keep me occupied for a while and when the corals grow, I will upgrade.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Newbie

nice build- stand details

Hello, I have been looking everywhere to start my 60 Gallon build. I found your thread here and really like your stand. I seen a lot of 2x4 stands but they seem to take a lot of room inside.

can you give us some details on how you made yours, materials and how did you joined the wood.

Thanks and looking forward for updates on your tank
Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

What I did was copy marinelands design to an extent with a couple extra supports. I made it out of 1" oak using pocket holes which I used my kreg jig. Every joint is pocket holes and glue. I routered the edges and patiently taped them so I could paint and then stain just the edges. Everything then got a clear coat. Inlay in door will be stamped tin when I find it. For now my inlay will be a grooved panel. Edge of tank sits flush with the sides of stand then I made the top so the tank is fully supported by sides. I'll have more pictures up this weekend. If you guys want more info or measurements let me know.

Tags
60 gallon, build, cube, gallon, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com