New 60 gallon rimless cube build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so I'm ordering a pump tonight what do you think as far as gph? My overflow is marineland cornerflo so I assume 700gph as it states. I am running a manifold off the return pump with three outlets, one to take water back to sump and 2 for future reactors. I am reading good things about the deep blue pumps. I was going to order the deep blue triton 5 that is 1350gph, I do have about 5 foot head loss and 2, 90degree angles. Would the 5 be to much? should I go with the triton 4 that is 1050gph.

reisy00,

I'm following your build and also looking thinking of putting a 20 gallon inside the cabinet which is 24 inches same as the 60gallon cube. Is your cabinet as wide as the tank? if I make the cabinet it 1/2 bigger all around and just put a 3/4 plywood board on top. Do you think that will hold the tank or with all that weight it will fall through the wood, since the tank perimeter is smaller than the cabinet permeter.

reisy00,

I'm following your build and also looking thinking of putting a 20 gallon inside the cabinet which is 24 inches same as the 60gallon cube. Is your cabinet as wide as the tank? if I make the cabinet it 1/2 bigger all around and just put a 3/4 plywood board on top. Do you think that will hold the tank or with all that weight it will fall through the wood, since the tank perimeter is smaller than the cabinet permeter.

You will lose 1.5" all the way around inside dimensions will be 22.5". If you want max space under cabinet and keep it clean inside (no 2x4 frame) the tank needs to sit flush with your sides then get your overhang if you want one with your top. Also I have an open top on mine so there is no chance of pressure points in the middle of the tanks bottom. The other way you could do it is a 2x4 frame then cover in whatever you want; stand would be slightly bigger and not as clean but you will get your 20 gallon under.

Sorry for the delay on updates we been getting hammered here in PA with snow and been getting mandated to stay at work. Pump is ordered deep blue triton 5 1350gph hopefully here by the weekend.

I think I will leave it flush I really don't want to do the 2x4 deal. I found a lumber place and I can get some 1x4 oak. so I will create the cabinets from 1x4s.

Also I will have doors on the side, and set a raised bottom to be flushed with the bottom of the doors, that way I can sneak the 20 gallon in still lol. it will be in the middle of the cabinet, but it will work.

What sump are going to use? is it a custom one ? I didnt see any updates on that one.

Thanks for the reply, the weather down here in Florida is nicer for now. enjoying it before the heat starts up again.

That's what most of mine is made of 1x4 oak boards. I have a aqueon proflex for now custom in the process of being made. I make the proflex work by modifying it. The first chamber was wasted by having a cover over it then another plastic piece and filter socks I cut all that out so I can put my protein skimmer In first chamber.

Sorry guys for the delay. I have the tank running now. But I have a quick question. I have the marineland corner flo the 90 degree on the return has the anti siphon under the elbow and that is creating a soothing but loud sound from the water coming out. How can I fix this?

Question about my drain. Obviously i have a marineland cornerflo. The drain side has a 90 on it with a air hose sticking up. Occasionally this air tube whistles. What causes it how can I fix it.

New picture with new phone

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1395962956447.jpg
    1395962956447.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 103
Sorry for the slow process on this build the cycle is taking longer then the rest of my tanks. I'm kicking myself for using all dry this time but I'm pest free for now lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom