Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New 65 Gallon Tank--Specific Live-Rock Questions

Im a NOOB. Had a tank WAY back and looking to start a new on in a a new way for me.

1) I will be starting/cycling a new tank with Live-Rock. The TONGA deep-water rock
looks amazing,
but also looks like it has lots more sensitive stuff which would die
during the cycle.
Should I add Tonga Rock AFTER the initial cycling. Is there an
"extra-hearty" type of Live-Rock that
should be used for cycling?

2) Does a FOWLR tank sustain inverts such as feather
dusters,crabs,Stars,urchins, shrimp etc?

3)I have about 25 lbs of dead coral and rock left over from the good-old under-gravel filterdays (20 years ago!). Just curious---will organisms adopt it and start making it LIVE-ROCK
also, thereby increasing the natural filtration?

4) What is this Bio-Spira stuff? I dont feel totally comfortable with it. My wife picked some up when she bought the tank.Its been stored in the fridge. Will it aid in stabilizing the
tank? Shortening the Cycle? Is it "may help,may not, but cant hurt"---or should I just avoid
using it completely?

thanks for your time and patience

Old 08-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Quote:
1) I will be starting/cycling a new tank with Live-Rock. The TONGA deep-water rock
looks amazing,
but also looks like it has lots more sensitive stuff which would die
during the cycle.
It depends. If you are buying the LR fully cured form a local source, you can prepare your tank and add the rock. Using all cured LR you would not see much of a cycle since the benifical bacteria is already established. If you are purchasing LR online you should expect a certain amount of die-off on the rock, depending on shipping time. Try to get it shipped overnight. Put it in the tank and let the die-off cycle the tank for you. If you are concerned with preserving the visible life in the rock during the cycle you can control NH3 and NO2 via water changes. This will prolong your cycle.
Quote:
2) Does a FOWLR tank sustain inverts such as feather
dusters,crabs,Stars,urchins, shrimp etc?
This will depend on the fish you want to have. Some are invet-safe and some will make quick work of them.
Quote:
3)I have about 25 lbs of dead coral and rock left over from the good-old under-gravel filterdays (20 years ago!). Just curious---will organisms adopt it and start making it LIVE-ROCK
also, thereby increasing the natural filtration?
If they are dead coral skeletons, I would leave them out. they just tend to get covered in algae and look bad.
Quote:
4) What is this Bio-Spira stuff? I dont feel totally comfortable with it. My wife picked some up when she bought the tank.Its been stored in the fridge. Will it aid in stabilizing the
tank? Shortening the Cycle? Is it "may help,may not, but cant hurt"---or should I just avoid
using it completely?
Bio-spira is pretty much a big waste of money. While it may give you acceptable water parameters in a very short period of time, it will do nothing to prepare the tank for long-term habitation. Since you already have it you can use it, just make sure you still go through the entire 6 week cycle.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for your helpfull info.

About the Bio-spira. Since I have it ---i`m glad you said its OK to use. But I was under the impression that if you DO use it , you dont SEE much of a cylcle when testing. Is this correct?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will appear that your tank cycled in a few days, rather then weeks. The biggest problem with this product is that it gives the hobbiest a false sense that their tank is ready to go. Many, then add too many fish too quickly and the small cycle caused by the Bio-Spira can not keep up the dramatic increase in bioload. This is why the product does not prepare the tank for long-term habbitation. Use it, do not be fooled by good water parameters early on and cycle normally. Add live stock very slowly in 4-6 weeks and you will be fine. Bio-Spira is simply not the miracle product it claims to be.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks agian---your help is greatly appreciated.

Tags
5 gallon, 65 gallon, live, rock, spec, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com