Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. As stated you can run a FOWLR with little to no light at all. Just switch BEFORE you get coral.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
Yes. As stated you can run a FOWLR with little to no light at all. Just switch BEFORE you get coral.
Ok cool, I'm pretty much ready to cycle my tank so I think? Thanks for the help again all it's good to have somewhere like this to get advice as its very hard to get info on things like this in Ireland :-(

Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yu. Just make sure the bacteria also colonize on the rock you get which they will..... In just paranoid about cycles lol. Keep us updates!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #14

lol No problem Crister13 I will cheers!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk83lfcn

Ok cool, I'm pretty much ready to cycle my tank so I think? Thanks for the help again all it's good to have somewhere like this to get advice as its very hard to get info on things like this in Ireland :-(
Yea!! Set it up, drop in a raw shrimp and start the cycle!! While you're waiting for the cycle to complete is the perfect time to research mire and hone your fish list down. Good luck!!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

Yea!! Set it up, drop in a raw shrimp and start the cycle!! While you're waiting for the cycle to complete is the perfect time to research mire and hone your fish list down. Good luck!!
What does the raw shrimp do for the tank? :-/ also what kind of fish work well together I don't know alot about them but I know you can't just put in any fish, I would like clown fish and some tangs any other suggestions would be great also how many fish would be good in this size tank?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

The raw Shrimp will decay and be a continuous source of ammonia for the bacteria that you need to grow in your tank before you add fish. You should research fish tank cycling before you get going. If I was better at the stuff, I'd be able to give you a link to it, but I suck at tech. Lol. So, google tank cycling and read up on the nitrogen cycle. No more than 2 clowns in the tank or they'll Fight. Most tang need a bigger tank than you have to be happy. There are some bristletooth tangs that would be ok In a 70g tank though, so research those. Best thing you can do is do a lot of research on the fish you're interested in. Go to liveaquaria.com and look up fish, that site tells you their temperament, size tank they need and there's also a compatibility chart on there. Lots of reading involved.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #18

A friend of mine has just sold he's livestock from he's 120g saltwater tank and has offers me he's live rock and the water from the tank if I use the water and rock would I have to leave my tank cycle as long?? I will also be adding some new live rock that I had already ordered.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk83lfcn
A friend of mine has just sold he's livestock from he's 120g saltwater tank and has offers me he's live rock and the water from the tank if I use the water and rock would I have to leave my tank cycle as long?? I will also be adding some new live rock that I had already ordered.
Use new water cycle will be short and sweet if you use your friends rock the rock is where the bb grows so no need to use the water make all new water thars what id do
Old 09-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #20

I need to take the rock from him this weekend if I'm taking it as he is moving too a new house and unfortunately I have a RO/DI unit being delivered but it won't be here until next Thursday :-( so would it be ok too use he's water too??

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com