New 70g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've used Danner mag pumps for 5 plus years before they need replaced always had great results

How much of a water change would I need to do in 70g and how often?

Got my live rock and water last night from a guy who was changing he's tank back to fresh water there was a few corals on one rock that didn't look so great so i took them too as he didn't anywhere for them, I have two t5 lights coming for my tank today one is a Marine tube and the other is a blue tube I hope these lights will support the corals for the moment, I didn't really plan on having these in the tank what more can I do to help these guys along?

image-1387483377.jpg

image-4216076348.jpg

^this was them when I put them in the tank last night

image-4188882663.jpg

^and this when I got up this morning.

The nitrate in my tank is also high how can I get this down? Thanks.

First thing those are mushrooms they don't require to much light your t5 fixtures will be fine
Second getting your nitrates down. Is water changes. I do at minimum 40% per month this will keep them under control. Also a good Skimmer will help as well sounds like he wasn't doing water changes and maintenance if your using his old water

Reef79 said:
First thing those are mushrooms they don't require to much light your t5 fixtures will be fine
Second getting your nitrates down. Is water changes. I do at minimum 40% per month this will keep them under control. Also a good Skimmer will help as well sounds like he wasn't doing water changes and maintenance if your using his old water

Thanks Reef79 I just got a bubble magus nac 6 skimmer and set it up the other day in my sump but it's not really producing anything think the water level in my sump might be too low :-( time to build a new one I think! Also them corals seem to have shrunk again would this be because I left the light on too long? I never turned it off for the last 3 days I thought it would help them but obviously not, my bad! :-o

image-258779378.jpg

Also could someone tell me the best times to turn on and off my lights?

Jk83lfcn said:
Also could someone tell me the best times to turn on and off my lights?

My actinic come on at 9am go off at 9 pm my halides come on at noon off at 7

I like to see my tank in the evening, so I have my lights on from noon till 11P, then moonlights til 1A. It's what works for me. :)

Thanks for the advice I'm also going to get a uv sterilizer for my tank should I get a 9w or an 18w or does it matter? Thanks again

Also is my power head ok it's a 6000 L/hr in a 70g tank?

Sorry ain't been here in a while 10 hours a day is sufficient anything more than that is just wasting electricity you don't need a uv sterilizer there nice to have if you need them but as you put corals in the sterilizer will kill any natural food your system creates plankton rotifers copepods and so on

Jk83lfcn said:
Also is my power head ok it's a 6000 L/hr in a 70g tank?

I like having uv no worries of deseases and it helps algae control you can always add plankton if desired

Thanks guys I must have a think about that one, I have added some fish in the last few days as my tank seems to be doing ok, I got 2 little clowns and a Pacific sailfin tang all seem to be doing really well so far, my sand is turning a little brown any ideas what that might be?

image-272977662.jpg

image-1149116314.jpg

image-3553184487.jpg

image-2990652730.jpg

image-2603089349.jpg

Back
Top Bottom