Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi all I'm new to the site and looking for some advice on starting my new 70g saltwater tank any help would be great! I live in Ireland so not so easy to get my hands on all the equipment but I'm slowly getting there.

I have the tank but I have no room for a sump so I have ordered a Reef Octopus 1000 hang on the back skimmer and I also have a Fluvel 305 external filter, I have about 25 kg of live rock ordered also I know I'll prob need more in time but this is just to get me started, do I need much more to get started?? Any help would be great thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3036055328.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	116401  

Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk83lfcn
Hi all I'm new to the site and looking for some advice on starting my new 70g saltwater tank any help would be great! I live in Ireland so not so easy to get my hands on all the equipment but I'm slowly getting there.

I have the tank but I have no room for a sump so I have ordered a Reef Octopus 1000 hang on the back skimmer and I also have a Fluvel 305 external filter, I have about 25 kg of live rock ordered also I know I'll prob need more in time but this is just to get me started, do I need much more to get started?? Any help would be great thanks!
I highly reccommend a refugium of some sort to export excess nutrients or maybe a nitrate reactor
reefoctopus imo is a great skimmer you need good flow so you need powerheads fish only flow is 20-30 times water volume reef is 30-50 times volume possibly a heater if you room temp fluctuates alot light depend on what your puttin in tank stronger lighting for coral

Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

I highly reccommend a refugium of some sort to export excess nutrients or maybe a nitrate reactor
reefoctopus imo is a great skimmer you need good flow so you need powerheads fish only flow is 20-30 times water volume reef is 30-50 times volume possibly a heater if you room temp fluctuates alot light depend on what your puttin in tank stronger lighting for coral
Cheers, I have power heads and heaters I must get 2 T5 bulbs for the tank it has just the standard light set up do you think it would be strong enough with the two T5's as I would like to ad some coral down the road?? As for the nitrate reactor could I use something like pictured below with the proper midia in it?? I have little knowledge about this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2342826368.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	116407  
Old 09-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 2 bulb wouldn't support anything besides possibly zoas and shrooms. I would get a radion or 2 if you can afford it. If not, I would get taotronic dimmable LEDs. You would need 2 and they're $180 a piece. That will work for a nitrate reactor just make sure the flow through it is extremely slow ( like 4 drops a second). Glad you're getting everything and researching before you go out and buy fish!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Cheers, I have power heads and heaters I must get 2 T5 bulbs for the tank it has just the standard light set up do you think it would be strong enough with the two T5's as I would like to ad some coral down the road?? As for the nitrate reactor could I use something like pictured below with the proper midia in it?? I have little knowledge about this.
Not sure if thet would work or not since no fuge what i would do is get 2 phosban 150 reactors run one biopellets and one gfo
Old 09-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #6

Thanks for the help, not really sure what lights to get so don't know enough about them, also I'm wondering is the contents of my external filter correct for a saltwater set up??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-792799374.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	116520   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2687860459.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	116521  

Name:	image-36793011.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	116522  
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #7

Could I start off with just the standard light set up with two T5 tubes and eventually upgrade before I am putting coral in the tank?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Could I start off with just the standard light set up with two T5 tubes and eventually upgrade before I am putting coral in the tank?
I would think so you might even be ok with some soft coral not really sure tho
Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

If you're not going to have coral at first and you already have the light, you can use it. Any light at all is ok for FOWLR-you don't even have to have one actually for just fish and rocks. But if you haven't bought it yet, then you should just buy one good for coral so that you're not paying twice. I have a Fluval 406 for my tank, and I love it. The water is very clean and clear. I do also have a skimmer. Thats the right medium. There should also be some carbon bags in there. I switched my carbon out recently and now have chemipure instead of the Fluval carbon, but that can be done at any time when you clean the filter. I do PWC every week and rinse out everything and alternate replacing parts of the media like polishing pads, long foam, etc.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #10

Thanks for the help, I have just two standard daylight tubes in at the moment would the be ok for the moment until I am putting coral? The fluval 305 has the carbon bags in it also.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com