New 72 gallon saltwater tank. NEed help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy62

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a 72 gallon bow front 4 weeks ago. I started the cycling process three weeks ago. I have a 750gph and 550 gob power head at each end.

At week one added about 50 pounds of cured Jakarta live rock slowly ,added 3 chromis and then couple days later 2 yellowtail damsels.

At week two I did a 10% water change. Added 3 spotted damsels (not smart) All level where good besides ph was low. Couple days one spotted damsel died.

At week three I added a cleaning crew of 5 snails and 15 hermit car. To clean the live rock. Fish are swimming good besides one chromis is not as active. Check levels again and levels are showing .5 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, 240 ppm calcium, pH in the 7 range.

When we my tank be cycled and do I have to worry about the calcium and pH level?

Look for the fish less cycle sticky in this forum. You added fish too soon before the cycle completed. The best way to test if the cycle is done is add like 1PPM of ammonia and see if it converts into nitrite than nitrate within 24 hours.

Most cycles take at least 3 weeks.

how do I add 1 ppm of ammonia?

PPM (parts per million) is pretty much a proportion. But first off, read this, it answered most of my questions...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Second, measure how much ammonia is in your aquarium currently using your API Master Saltwater Test Kit. Notice the measurements are in PPM. Note how much ammonia is in there, and add a very small amount, maybe 1/8 tsp. Then wait about 30 min and test again. Note how much ammonia increased by. Use this to either decrease/increase how much you add so that you add 1 PPM. Since you are going by colors, its not very accurate but it's it will give you a good idea.

Finally, see how long it takes for the ammonia to turn into Nitrite and than Nitrate.

I've never done this with fish in the tank, so hopefully someone can chime in about that. I would suggest taking them out and put them in a Quarantine tank if possible.

Other than that, good luck!

checked levels today and my ammoina levels spiked to 1 ppm ( without adding anything ) my nitrites r 0 and my nitrates are at 15ppm. Ph is at 8.2 lower from the other day. My water got cloudy white. Also I started to notice dark red on some live rock. Any suggestions on what's going on.

the ammonia levels should be coming from somewhere, or from ammonia you've added previously. nitrites 0 is good and trates at 15 is fine. Kind of sounds like the cycle is complete, test again tomorrow if the ammonia goes to 0.

Not sure why the water got cloudy white, it could be a bacterial bloom or algae bloom. The dark red is an algae too.

Make sure you keep your tank light off.

That's my best advice, maybe someone else can chime in

oh if you have fish in the tank, ammonia is coming from their waste. that's a natural source of ammonia

I know where my levels come from by my only concern is the cloudy water and red on live rock.

I just figured out the red on my live rock is hard and is probably just coralline. The cloudy water i believe was an bloom and now the cloudy water is gone. Is my tank cycled?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 85
  • photo[1].JPG
    photo[1].JPG
    98 KB · Views: 90
Oh yea! Looks good, pics r always helpful :). I would just check ur levels to make sure ammonia an nitrites are 0. See what the nitrate level is at, if they are pretty high do a big water change if they r low do a small one. Sounds like ur about ready

Back
Top Bottom