New 75 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbucket72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found a great deal on a 75 gal and am going to start my first salt water tank will be a reef tank with deep sand bed gonna try and go for a full eco system in my tank lol. Fist saltwater adventure and advice would be much appreciated

MuDbUcKeT72. mts sufferer

Take things slowly and you cant go wrong :) did you have any fairly specific questions?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is a protein skimmer needed at first or can that wait till I get my tank going

Is a protein skimmer needed at first or can that wait till I get my tank going

"Needed"? No, but it will make life a lot easier and save you quite a bit of money on salt with water changes. If you want to wait for a skimmer I would highly suggest at the very least the largest refugium you can fit in your stand.

Well for the first 3 or 4 months it will be live rock only just to let it do its thing then maybe add a hardy fish and see where it goes before I get too involved building the reef

Well for the first 3 or 4 months it will be live rock only just to let it do its thing then maybe add a hardy fish and see where it goes before I get too involved building the reef

I used the Dr Tim's Bacterial Additive an added to Clowns to start my cycle the added 5lbs of live rock per week. Also I would have my skimmer at the start using AquaC Remora with drain tube no sump needed!

Last edited:
I got a steal on a excalibur so that's what I'll be using I have a wet/dry filter that I will be using as a sump and a separate 15 gal as a refugium but can't fit the skimmer in the inlet section of the sump so thinking of putting it in the middle where the filter media would normally go. Is this a good or bad idea

Ok I will be selling the wet/dry.
I'm getting a 25 and a 30gal tanks for 40$
so I'm gonna make the 30 the sump and the 25 a refugium.
should definitely be able to fit my skimmer in there can't wait to get everything together and cycling.
Oh and it should be fine to drill the side glass on those tanks right?

I was gonna have a power head feed the refugium and have it drain back into the return of the sump

Personally, I think plumbing multiple sumps / refugiums together isnover complicating the process and risking failure ofnone of the parts. If it were me, I would just stick with a single tank as a refugium.

I might have to do that anyways with the bulk head fittings I don't think I'll have the room under my stand

This is the deal I got on Craigslist all for about 300$ just having a hard time deciding what tank to use as a sump/fuge. the 15 gal would be the only one that will fit in the back the 25 and 35 would have to be dropped down in. hoping to have it all set up by tax season

Attachments

• 1412787750923.jpg
    1412787750923.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 1412787772998.jpg
    1412787772998.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 1412787786146.jpg
    1412787786146.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 111
Gonna have rke elite 2 165w led lights mag drive 9.5 return pump tunze auto top off and not sure on the wave makers yet

With that little space you really don't have room for the fuge. I would just do a sump,or cut a hole in the side to pass the 20 through if you need to, Other stuff takes up room in the sump too you know. 2 tank sump/fuge is asking for trouble.

Well I removed the plywood from the bottom and put it on the actual bottom I gained about 3 inches enough to put the 35 in and still be able to do maintenance rather easily. Now just need to add some baffles to the sump

Back
Top Bottom