new 75 gal, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AddictiveAdam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i just got a 75 Gal tank off of Craigslist and heres what i got seaclone 100 Protein skimmer, 2 biowheel filters, 2 heaters (not sure of wattage but almost as long as the tank vertically) and some kind of substrate, that i cant tell if its sand or coral it seems like a mix haha. It is up now without any fish or LR (i still need to get a light fixture) I would like to have a predatory tank with a Picasso Trigger, Snowflake Eel, and a Puffer of some sort. Is this over stocked if not what can i add? Id like a hippo Tang even though they arent predatory. Also my protien skimmer do you think it will be ok until i can upgrade i hear seaclone is a cheap brand? Any suggestions would be great!

Welcome to the forum!

The 75g will be too small for a hippo tang unfortunately, they need a 6 foot tank preferably a 180g.

The skimmer is, as you've read, not a very good one but will do until you can upgrade. :)

Though I'm not a predatory tank kinda gal the 3 you listed seem like a good fit.

Good luck and keep us posted!! Just ask any questions BEFORE you buy as the experts here can help you along.

:-D

With those 3 do you think that it is under crowded? How would clams and lobster do with them? Thanks a bunch!

Clams would require super super bright light but a fish only tank does'nt so you'd have a choice there. Excellent lighting is quite expensive! LOl

Not sure on the lobster, i do know that the fish you listed will eat anything that can fit in their mouth, and triggers are known to nip and eat inverts. :-(

here's a great site that can let you know the requirements for keeping many many fish

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Humu Picasso Triggerfish

Im new to this and just want to start a successful tank! I prefer bigger fish so that is why i went predatory do you think this is a mistake for a beginner?

It's all what you like. :) Going fish only with no corals is a cheaper way to start as you don't have to invest in lighting, the fish only can use regular old lighting, even single tubes.

I wish I could help more but I don't keep aggressive fish, just happy reef fish.

Another thing to consider is if you will ever upgrade to corals as I believe those fish listed aren't reef safe.

Theres alot of people who keep the fish you listed, I'm sure some will chime in as the day goes on, it's still early! lol

Just keep in mind bigger fish require bigger tanks. I had to upgrade to a 125g so that I was able to keep tangs, which was one reason I got into saltwater to begin with. :)

LOL, still not gonna be big enough. Sorry. I just debated putting a blue tang in my 125g, even though a 180g is recommended.

I believe the blue pacific also requires a 125g.....hmmm I couldnt find a pacific blue listed, only the atlantic....

There are some tangs that can be happy enough in a 75g though, youre looking at Kole tangs, bristletooth tangs and a few others.

here's the tang link

Surgeonfish: Tang Fish, Yellow Tangs and other Surgeons

LOL, some sites are a bit off. For instance aquacon.com says a blue hippo can go into a 20g tank!!!

I've found liveaquaria to be pretty decent and accurate as far as requirements. They may be a bit conservative sometimes but thats better than under estimating.

Alot of tangs grow up to a foot big and they need the swimming room. the 2 I have do nothing but swim back and forth all day. If they don't have the proper tank size and appropriate food they can get stressed adn then you really have issues. Tangs are notorious for stress related illnesses.

Not sure a tang would be happy in a tank with those aggressive fish either, most tangs are semi aggressive mostly and a bunch are peaceful.

There are some awesome fish tough for a fish only tank. You can get angle fish and any wrasses too. :)

Back
Top Bottom