New 75 gal Tank Started... Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patman3d

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, my brother and I decided to do a SW fish tank, and before I knew it, he started already. :rolleyes:

I know this is a little late, but I was trying to do a little research, he just started doing stuff already.

Here's what we've got:
75 gallon tank
Water filter running w/o filter :rolleyes:
Sand non-live
Live Sand
2 water heaters

This is the current situation: All the above is in the tank, with about 3 shrimp tossed in to start the cycling? process (the goofball chopped it up and then tossed it in). This has been running like that for a week now.

I've got a few questions/concerns to ask the all-knowledgable people here:

1) The (chopped) shrimp looks like it's got a caccoon around it... Is that ok?

2) There is now orangish-yellowy long grainy stuff showing up on the sand... what is that?

3) I think we should get some live rock since the tank is still new. What is the best (and cost effective) way to do it?

4) I don't know the Nitrate/nitrite levels since the goof thought the ammonia strips were enough... I plan to get a kit that has testing for nitrate nitrite ammonia. Also plan to aquire a protein skimmer and Powerheads. Any advice as to which kits are good, brands that are good, and requirements necessary for any of the above would be fantastic.

As for pictures, I will try and see if I can get some tonight.

Thanks for your time :)

Yes shrimp is supposed to look like that. Yes if you can get the LR in there now it would be ideal. Several places to go online for it. My favorite is www.liveaquaria.com . And you will need test kits to know if your cycle is over. Good Luck.

I would get uncured LR and place it in to help with the cycle. Placing cured LR in your tank as it is still cycling would "kill" the cured status of the LR. You can usually get uncured LR cheaper than cured LR. Get test kits for ammonia, pH, nitrite, nitrate at a minimum, and make sure you have something to test your SG.

I will recommend that before you place any fish, snails, shrimp, crabs or anything else alive into your tank that you do some research. As the tank is cycling, you still have time to read up, and prepare yourself to successfully run your tank. Rushing into this hobby usually is the worst thing you can do.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Be prepared for your cycle to last 4-6 weeks and I almost forgot , Welcome to AA :flasingsmile: :flasingsmile: :flasingsmile:

Thank you all for the replies :)

Wow, this stuff really does get to be expensive :rolleyes:

I'll try and see if we can find some live rock at the LFS as well as the testing kits. Probably find some online as well since it'll probably be cheaper.
Since live rock will be going in, is it necessary to have external water filter in place as well?

As for refractometer, is it really worth the $$ to go out and get one?

Welcome to AA :D

Code:
:roll: not :rolleyes:
:roll:

External water filter isn’t necessary if stocking with 1.5+ lbs of lr per gal and you have good water movement within the tank using ph. I would get a skimmer though.

Buying a $45 refractometer will ensure more accurate results then the swing arm or floating hydrometers. IMO it’s not a “must have” item if doing a FO/FOWLR tank but if you are considering a “reef tank” then it should be gotten. If not keep your sg closer to 1.022 to compensate for any inaccuracies.

It took me a little while to find a place with not too much water movement to keep the arm from swinging.

On a funny note, my old hydrometer fell onto the substrate and my pincushion decided to use that for camouflage....

Ok, sorry for not posting any sooner, been pretty busy with stuff lately and just finally got the testing kit yesterday :oops:

Here's what I've currently show:

Nitrate: 40
Nitrite: 10.0
Alkalinity: 300+ (blue)
pH: 8.8?
Temp: ~78
Salinity: 1.025 outside of water or between 1.024 and 1.025 when submerged (hydrometer w/swinging arm thingy)

Ok, so it looks like Nitrite and Nitrates are a little high?? What is needed to lower it? I'm guessing a PWC is in order...

Here's a few pics that I took yesterday as well:

This is the current setup... what you see is basically what i've got :roll:
img_638605_0_5d4c02fe6a212bace4d8305445035d0d.jpg

Here's a close up of the 'stuff' in question: :?
img_638605_1_a0be76f08a6841431c0d6f07cc41bb79.jpg

Zoomed into see sand as well (top layer live sand bottom layer crushed coral?)
img_638605_2_773204b6d87a83575107e90b113cd50d.jpg

(worthless??) Shot from the Upper left side, and down into the tank:
img_638605_3_780745346f5e7f2ff122087ee861ed94.jpg

Currently in talks to possibly acquire some Live Rock and maybe other equiptment :)

Thanks for the link demodiki, I'll keep that in mind :)

Elzool, thanks for the offer, but I'm located in Huskerland (NE) Might be interested in it though :)

I did the same thing w/the CC under the sand. The first time you clean the CC, the sand will sink to the bottom and the CC will be on top....You will have to clean the CC. I am removeing most of my CC right now....kinda of a pain with critters and LR in the tank. I only have a little section left. Just a little of my experience.....

Is there any critters that will clean the crushed coral?

Our tank has been running for about a month or so now, and was wondering if we are nearing the end of the cycling process?

Here are the stats compiled last night
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 30
Nitrite: 5.0
Alkalinity: 300+ (blue)
pH: 8.4?
Temp: ~80
Salinity: 1.025 outside of water or between 1.024 and 1.025 when submerged (hydrometer w/swinging arm thingy)

After doing the test, I fished out the chunks of shrimp that were left in there when it was started... The chunks were pretty slimey :?

I visited the LFS and got myself a MaxiJet 1200 to get some flow going. What are we needing to do to get the 'stuff' on the bottom cleaned up and also to clear up the cloudy water? any critters we should get?

Edit: I forgot to mention that there are a couple green spots that have started to show up on the sand. Is this a different algae or maybe mold from the rotting shrimp??

Edit: I forgot to mention that there are a couple green spots that have started to show up on the sand. Is this a different algae or maybe mold from the rotting shrimp??

It is probably the brown algae "converting" to green...not sure how to really exlpain it....

Interesting. Well, I turned off my lights last night to see if it helps in slowing down the algae stuff until we get more critters in there.

To fix cloudy water, we do a PWC right?

patman3d said:
To fix cloudy water, we do a PWC right?
Not until your cycle is complete i.e. 0 nh3/no2. Till then the easiest way to clear a cloudy tank is to use GAC in your HOB.

Thanks, I just got some the other day. It is still a little cloudy. I guess it'll take a while to get cleaned up then.

Back
Top Bottom