Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New 75 gallon

I would be very happy for some ideas and stocking list for my new 75 gallon.
TIA (still setting up/mixing saltwater) Thanks again. Also will give kudos to person with the best combo or tip

Old 11-23-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on what you want to do. I love spending other people's $$ Are you looking at a communtiy tank, aggressive tank, FO, FOWLR, reef? That might help us narrow down so good options for you. Have fun with the set-up! Lando

Old 11-23-2004, 09:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

FOWLR and in a few years a reef. thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 09:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You really do have a lot of possibilities. If you plan to go reef, you may want to limit your selections to reef safe fish so will not have to remove anything now. Some of my favorites...Tangs, percs, dwarf angels, gobys, bassletts, chromis. Go for great color. there is really a lot you can do.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Some wrasses, royal gramma too =).
Old 11-23-2004, 10:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would suggest about 80 lbs of live rock and some of the following fish:
Perc Clown
Tang (naso recommended) beautiful fish and great disposition
Butterfly
Dwarf Angel (flame or coral beauty) or Saddleback Puffer

The fish above would give you a good assortment of colors and personality as I have owned them all. They will also help with issues such as algae (tangs and angels will pick at it) and my Butterfly eats aipstasia. They are also hardy fish that should do well in your aquarium and help you enjoy your tank. If you go with less hardy fish, you may end up with issues (such as a greater chance of ick) that will take away from the enjoyment of your new tank.

Good luck!
Jim
Old 11-24-2004, 01:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

to what jamesr said
im sure you knew this but whatch for some butterflies in a reef
some will eat corals/ all types
but then again your safe with some, just dont get some thing not reef safe. Unless you want to break down the whole tank it is hard to get a fish out ( ive tried and i gave up on my 3 stripe but he is doing fine)
Old 11-24-2004, 08:23 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Start w/3 blue/green chromis. Add a pistol shrimp and goby pair (5 or six shrimp gobies to choose from at Liveaquaria.com). Situate your rocks firmly on the bottom for gobies and shrimp that may tunnel. Add a pair of neon blue cleaner gobies. Bring in some cleaners (hermits, snails), and cleaner shrimp. Include 5 or six peppermint shrimp to keep any aptasia at bay.

Get a blenny. Fun fish. Of course a mated pair of clowns. and a tang suited for your tank size. Then maybe consider a deresa clam in the sand.

Other choices may include royal gramma, orchid dottyback, reef-friendly wrasse (something that stays less than 3"), and firefish.

Aw man, I think I accidently described my 75g tank! Hey, it works very well for me. Got the high rock dweller and roamer @ the top (midas blenny), low rock dweller (neon goby), sand dweller (watchman goby), swimmers (clowns and chromis), and a firefish (sits out front & low, posing for the cameras), and the big centerpiece tang (not yet, but coming).

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks i will probly tank a lot of your ideas. I allrady have a clown in a 20 gallon and am planning on transfurring Him over. I had to get this tank beacuse my 20 started to leak about 2 gallons a day not including evaporatin. I have 15 pounds of fiji lr and a seaclone Protean Skimmer (no problems yet). What else will i need for filteration? I know i need more lr but what else? Thanks for any help!!!
Old 11-24-2004, 05:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone?

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com