New 75 gallon water level question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzzyJames

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
Only my second post. I have been working on a 10 gallon salt water tank for a few months and have become totally addicted. I went out last weekend and bought a 75 gallon set up off craigs list and have it filled with live sand and about 80 lbs of live rock. Everything is working great after a few days of tweaking the skimmer and moving the rock like ten times. Lol. My main question is about the water level. I have the tank and the sump both marked for ideal levels but the sump seems to be going down rather quickly. About 1 inch in the last 8 hours. I have checked everywhere for a leak but everything is dry. Is it usual to lose that much water to evap? There seems to be a lit if condensate in the skimmers compartment. I just want to make sure everything is normal ig anyone had any feedback. The 10 gallon tank had a lid an no open sump so water evaporation has not been a problem. I will post pics and if course ask advise before I start adding anything I want to live. Thanks
Jim

Here it is so far.

Attachments

• image-3215296043.jpg
    image-3215296043.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 117
unplug your return pump...let it drain and settle. mark your water level in the tank and sump.. then plug the sump back in and let it run for 8-10 hours. and do the same thing.. but also watch the water level in the tank compared to the first mark... if you notice while its running that the dt water level is higher then the return pump is slightly overpowering the overflows...hope this makes sense:)

Thank you. That does make sense. Do I need a bigger U tube if it is? I don't think I can adjust the flow on the pump.

I mean the overflow tube. It looks like a U. Lol

IF the pump is overwhelming the overflow... simply place a ball valve on the line going from the return pump to the tank...all you need to do is throttle the pump back a bit

Awesome. Makes sense. Thanks.
I'm still a long way from fish but don't want to come home to a SW flood. Lol
I appreciate the responses. 75 gal is big difference from my little 10. Need all the help I can get.

OzzyJames said:
Hi all,
Only my second post. I have been working on a 10 gallon salt water tank for a few months and have become totally addicted. I went out last weekend and bought a 75 gallon set up off craigs list and have it filled with live sand and about 80 lbs of live rock. Everything is working great after a few days of tweaking the skimmer and moving the rock like ten times. Lol. My main question is about the water level. I have the tank and the sump both marked for ideal levels but the sump seems to be going down rather quickly. About 1 inch in the last 8 hours. I have checked everywhere for a leak but everything is dry. Is it usual to lose that much water to evap? There seems to be a lit if condensate in the skimmers compartment. I just want to make sure everything is normal ig anyone had any feedback. The 10 gallon tank had a lid an no open sump so water evaporation has not been a problem. I will post pics and if course ask advise before I start adding anything I want to live. Thanks
Jim

I have a 75 with a 20 gallon sump and run two 250MH,but don't have enclosed lights like yours is.Anyway,I have to add a gallon of top off water a day if that gives you an idea of how much water you will lose daily.It equals about an inch drop on my 20 gallon long sump.

Back
Top Bottom