New 90 Gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enygma_0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of setting up a new 90g reef and wanted some assistance with lighting and other needs. I want to keep a few fish and SPS and LPS corals. I was thinking that VHO would be the way to go, but did not know how many bulbs 4-6 48" bulbs as well as what type should I go with and how many.

Also for sand to get it to 2" bed depth I assume from looking at teh calculators I am going to need about 100 lbs of sand. I wanted to reuse some sand out of a 29g tank, is it worth the hassle to try and clean teh heck out of the sand?

As well setting up a a sump, I was considering converting my 30g tank to a sump. Should that be enough?

One last question, I have an aquaC remora skimmer HOB type and will that be enough for a 90g tank or am I going to need to go bigger?

In order of time wise what would I need to tackle first so I can get my tank up and running and recycled in the 90g...

If your skimmer is the one that came with the maxijet 1200 pump its only rated to 75 gallons. Aqua c sells an in sump skimmer called the urchin pro that would work nicely.

What are the dimensions of your tank? Is it Reef Ready? I would either go with a T5 or metal halide setup if wanting a variety of sps.

The tank is reef ready and I am planning on using my 29g as a DIY sump. I was looking to keep more medium lighting SPS and LPS no high lighting corals such as acro etc.. at this time.

I was wanting to know while the tank cycles I could go ahead and purchase new T5 lighting 4 48" fixture setup with an icecap ballast. Use my Remora and then after about 1 mo, purchase the urchin pro with a mag 5 pump or orsomething of the like at that time. I need to know the order in which I sould purchase things and viably fill up my 90g and get under way. Should I stage things, or let that nice new aquarium sit empty until I have all other pieces?

Your heart is in the right place, go with a 48" 4x54w IceCap (reflectors) with a standard ballast. The IceCap ballasts are geared towards "over-driving" your lamps, which you should not need. If you might be wanting more sps in the future, either 6 lamp Tek or a 4x54w Powermodule would work. As for skimmers; In-sump: Octopus (Extreme), Vertex (gen 2), ATI, Tunze, and ASM or AquaC as bottom feeders (require more finageling). Euro-Reef is still a decent brand if you don't mind ordering direct. For HOB skimmer: Deltec, Octopus (sicce pump), or Eshopps I guess. You still need two heaters, roughly two 100w titanium (get a ranco controller for these). You will also need a return pump based on your overflow ratings and powerheads unless you are going to drill for a closed loop.

Back
Top Bottom